29G Sump Design

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jmarsh3253

AC Members
Apr 11, 2007
Hi Everyone - I would really appreciate your help. I'm looking to make a 29G tank into a sump/refugium for a 75 G SW tank that I am about to set up. I plan to use either the CPR of Lifereef 600gph overflow...any recommendation on these? I've attached a drawing...please no artistic comments..lol. My questions are many...Is the overall design OK? Is the inflow from the tank and the outflow from the skimmer OK to be in the same compartment? I based the compartment sizing on using one of the following return pumps: Mag 5 or 7, Quite One 3000 or 4000, Rio 2500, or Eheim 1260. Based on the overflow, are these pumps going to be OK?...I will have about a 4.5 foot head space to the tank. I plan to use an Aqua C EV-120 with the Mag 3 pump. Will 2 pumps in the sump create too much heat. Wow...that is a lot of questions!!! Thanks for your patience and input

29G Sump-Refugium.jpg

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Sump looks good, although the 12" tall baffles may be a tad too tall. Your not going to fill the sump completely with water, only about 2/3 full. It may work fine, but its close. I setup a 29G sump for my neighbors 75G tank and it works great. Return pump, he went with a Mag7 at first, then recently upgraded to a Mag18. He has a built in overflow that could handle it though.

Mag pumps have a reputation for being hotter than other pumps. I would look at Eheim myself. They seem like a better option. I am running the Mag7 on my 29G tank now and its great for my tank but I haven't had to deal with summer temps yet so the jury is still out on the heat issue. I didn't have to pay for the pump though, my neighbor gave it to me when he upgraded. I would have gone with the Eheim if I had to buy one. 2 pumps should NOT create any excessive heat.. it will just make your heater not have to work as much.

jmarsh3253

AC Members
Apr 11, 2007
I wasn't sure about the height either, and my drawing isn't quite to scale, but I was thinking like you that the baffle should be about 2/3 of the height...which 12" is ~ 2/3 of 18 3/4. I hope that would give me enough fill space in a power outage.

wantvws

AC Members
Jul 15, 2007
Waynesboro, VA
Looks basically like what I have planned for my sump, except I'm using a 30 long tank. I am going with a Ocean Runner 3500 for a return pump...I have an Eheim 1250 right now and it is a great pump (it is at least 12 years old) but I want a little more flow through the sump.
Out of curiosity, why are you going to run two pumps?
Robbie

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
On the return, the Eheim will be the most reliable AND you can always throttle it down a little if necessary. Why are you underpowering the AquaC EV 120? It really needs a mag 5, minimum--a mag 7 gives even better results. Same for EV 180-- mag 7 minimum, mag 9.5 preferred.

kcress

AC Members
Apr 9, 2005
um...ok.

You can skip the last divider next to the return pump, little purpose it has.

You should be fine with the skimmer outlet in the same side, as the bulk flow thru the sump is much larger than the amount going thru the skimmer. Yes, you will cause some amount of inefficiency as some of the "skimmed" water will get re-skimmed. No big deal. You could add a hose to the outlet and run it down to the bottom near the partition to 'guide' more of it out of the the skimmer partition.

As for pumps.. For in-sump ones realize that every watt they draw will go towards water heating. EVERY watt. If you use external pumps call it 80% of the watts will go towards heating.

This means your tank temp will rise according to whether your heater cycles during the day or not. If your heater(s) are ON ever during a normal day then they will be ON less by the wattage of heat being added by the pumps. If your heaters are not ever on during the day then you will have a temp rise. How much? Very hard to say. It is a function of the relative humidity in the room, the surface agitation, tank volume, room temperature, tank surface area, and your choice of tank temperature.

The most serious issue is if the room temperature ever gets near the temperature you run in the tank, like on a hot summer day. That's when those few watts will hurt.

jmarsh3253

AC Members
Apr 11, 2007
Thanks for the thoughts. Yes, I was talking about 2 pumps...one for the skimmer and the other for return. Good catch, Amp...I really did mean the Mag 5 for the Aqua C EV-120. I live in Indiana, so my house temp is rarely over 72 between heating and AC, so it sounds like I should be good on temp.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store