29G Sump Design

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cheech

Global Moderator
Jan 13, 2000
Montreal, Canada
jmarsh,

I quickly drew out your sump, with your specs, and just a couple of changes.

Drawn on cad, so you'll get a good idea of perspective.

Just make sure your skimmer fits in that 8 1/2" space. . :)

(I used 3/16" for the glass thickness)

jmarsh.jpg

jmarsh3253

AC Members
Apr 11, 2007
Awesome Cheech...Thanks. The scale really helps. I should be OK with the skimmer, the footprint is 8 1/2 long x 4 3/4 wide, and I will have it elevated off the bottom, so the pump will fit also. I presume the eggcrate is to keep critters from going over into the return pump chamber? Will the egg crate create bubbles into the return? Based on the scale, am I better off using a shallower sand bed with live rock? Thanks for your help everyone!

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Awesome Cheech...Thanks. The scale really helps. I should be OK with the skimmer, the footprint is 8 1/2 long x 4 3/4 wide, and I will have it elevated off the bottom, so the pump will fit also. I presume the eggcrate is to keep critters from going over into the return pump chamber? Will the egg crate create bubbles into the return? Based on the scale, am I better off using a shallower sand bed with live rock? Thanks for your help everyone!

Yes, the egg crate is there to stop critters going over, also to stop floating clumps of algae, for example too...Should not have any problems with bubbles....Stick to a minimum of 6 inches on the DSB...you've plenty of height there for it...

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Egg crate is usually used to stop your Macro algae from getting yanked over the baffle into the return chamber. It isn't going to stop small critters like pods from going through, but that is a good thing as you want those to go into your tank. I should slow down things like Turbo snails from going over though, they can still make it over if they are determined, but those wont normally get sucked into your return.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store