72g Bowfront Mbuna Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
So I have a thread for asking questions about this tank and a thread about building this tank but it is time to have a thread for the tank in general! Pretty much an update thread. Here is some back ground....

Long version
(click the links for FULL background info)
Planning the tank (stocking mostly)
Building the tank (LOTS of pictures! redo stand, reseal, canopy from scratch)

Short version
72g bowfront aquarium with pine stand & custom canopy
Emporer 400
Eheim 2213
Eheim 2013
Undergravel jet system (total of about 1180 gph!! :eek3:)
250watt Visi-Therm Stealth
2 - 55watt Ahsupply kits with 50/50 bulbs
Blue cold cathode moon lighting
Red cold cathode sunrise lighting
~90lbs Lace rock (adding more!)

The good stuff, pictures! Here is the tank after construction was complete.

First setup of rocks (left side had 50/50 while right side had a 9235k) :shakehead:

Current rock formation

There was a LOT more algae then that but after seeing as my mbuna were not eating it I added a female bristlenose and she went to town!

I added some ameca splendens to the tank first to make sure it was habitable. Then I added the first 8 Mbunas, yellow labs Labidochromis Caerleus.

Group shot

Munching!

Dominant male, front & center (picture does not do him justice)

Another of the dominant male, he always chases me around the tank so he gets the most attention

What is in the basket?

Frogbit! I got this to soak up any excess nutrients when I add another 32 fish on Wednesday! It is in the basket because the fish like eating it. :)

So from here I am planning to...
- Add more rocks. I have 260lbs of Appalachian gray rock that I will add on Wednesday before the new fish are added, not all of it of course though.
- Add new fish! 8 each of Iodotropheus Sprengerae (Rusty), Psuedotropheus acei (yellow tail), Psuedotropheus socolofi (albino), Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos (maingano); all of which are coming in on Wednesday. Shortly after that I will be adding Metriclima estherae (OB) just waiting for them to age a little more.
- Add more plants! I will be adding java ferns & anubias to this tank on Wednesday as well. In the future I may add onion plants & vals too.

I can't wait for my new fish!! :D

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
looks great my friend good job and i bet you will be happy when your done aye..

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Thanks. I love the labs! They have sooo much character, when I sit next to the tank they all come over a stare at me. I enjoy the build & setup of the tank so much but am certainly looking forward to the end result! :)

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
A terrific tank!

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
Brilliant tank - stock list sounds great. Updates as you go please !

Weezer

Plastic Plant's Live Longer
Mar 2, 2007
"Minnesota - It Gets Chilly Here"
Nice setup.........:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store