finrot - water changes not helping

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

boobiebutt

AC Members
Jul 5, 2008
Long story short, I was originally keeping a betta in a 1 gallon bowl and doing 1 25% and 1 full water changes a week for a couple of months with no issues. I bought a 2.5 gal but was lazy about cycling it but I didn't want to place the betta in a uncycled tank. But being only 1 fish in the tank I didn't think it would be that big of an issue plus I can begin the cycle with the betta.

Since my betta has been living in the 2.5 gallon tank (the last few months) it started to develop finrot. I've searched for solutions on the forum and since the finrot was not bad I decided to not mess around with medicines and just do water changes.

I change 1 gallon of water from the tank every 2 days but sometimes 3 if I get lazy. The fins of my betta is still rotting away slowly. Despite the frequent water changes, do I really have to result to medicine? And if so what kind?

The tank used to be 77 degrees but I raised it to 79 degrees to help with the healing. The tank is also filtered with a red sea nano filter rated for a 3-5 gallon tank I believe. I clean the filter media in old fish water once a month. No plants yet and the substrate is a mixture of onyx black sand and black sand eco-complete. I'm not too sure on the parameters of the water. But I do so many frequent water changes, I didn't think there would be any massive build up of ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, etc.

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
Do the tests anyway. It's a small volume of water. Bacteria like warm water so it's not a good idea to raise the temperature.

boobiebutt

AC Members
Jul 5, 2008
I'm not too sure how to read these but my water parameters seem to be fine to me.

Ammonia

Nitrite

Nitrate

Suggestions anyone?

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
How long after a wc did you test?

Zero nitrate means this tank isn't cycled. Even with the frequent water changes there will still be a build up of ammonia or nitrite at some point as there is not enough bacteria to process your bioload completely.

Bettas like water closer to 80 degrees anyways, so raising the temp shouldn't be an issue. I've never had problems with bacteria not colonizing at similar temps.

boobiebutt

AC Members
Jul 5, 2008
How long after a wc did you test?

Zero nitrate means this tank isn't cycled. Even with the frequent water changes there will still be a build up of ammonia or nitrite at some point as there is not enough bacteria to process your bioload completely.

Bettas like water closer to 80 degrees anyways, so raising the temp shouldn't be an issue. I've never had problems with bacteria not colonizing at similar temps.
I did the water change this morning around 11am-12pm. I tested the water right before my post so I'd say 615-630pm.

I understand the the tank might or might not be cycled. But how much ammonia/nitrite can possibly build up with 1 fish in the tank. It's not like I have a community tank here with multiple fishes defecating continuously... I do appreciate you're input but how much can the ammonia/nitrite be over 2-3 days from 1 fish, seriously. It doesn't make sense. The frequent water changes would remove all the 'build up'.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Sure, bioload does create an issue however this is a very small tank. Build ups happen MUCH quicker than in larger tanks.

Your tank may be cycled and your nitrates were all but removed from the water change. I'd test at least once a day before your next water change to see if those parameters rise.

You shouldn't have to do water changes more than once a week with this tank if it's actually cycled.

boobiebutt

AC Members
Jul 5, 2008
Well I only increased the water changes to fix my bettas finrot but it doesn't seem to be helping? It actually got worst from this morning. =|

But I will continue testing daily and keep this thread updated. Thanks.

boobiebutt

AC Members
Jul 5, 2008
UPDATE:

The parameters seem to be the same as yesterday. I did the water test between 415-430pm which is roughly 10 hours from my first test.

Ammonia

Nitrite

Nitrate

Depending on how bad the rot is getting, you might consider treating with maracyn and/or maracyn 2.
Well I would say at least 50% of his original fins have disappeared since being placed in the 2.5 gallon. It was a very slow and sad process to watch. =( Would you suggest treating with meds at this point?

boobiebutt

AC Members
Jul 5, 2008
Day 3 UPDATE:

Water testing 26 hours after second water test. The water parameters are pretty much still the same 56 hours after last water change.

Ammonia

Nitrite

Nitrate

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store