Planted Pico Project

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JAY973

AC Members
Dec 24, 2005
NJ
My disclaimer ***I have no idea what I'm getting myself into or what I'm doing so bare with me***

I really enjoy the impact our local planted club members have with their small tanks and I couldn't help but to be WOW'd when seeing a few NANO and Picos in person. To make a long story short I wanted to try my hand at a small tank to see what I get. I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best...LMAO

I don't have all the equipment just the tank and I'm just throwing this together with things I've collected. The substrate is SMS had some left over from the Planted 120 and the rocks which I never considered using them until I saw similar rocks in another members tank. These rocks are like 10 yrs old and were sitting in my basement. I pulled them apart to make their size suitable for the pico so here are some pictures sorry some are blurry don't have a tripod hooked up.

A few rocks

Layout 1

Layout 2 larger stone top left and 2 small stones in the 2nd row.

Substrate is sloped 2.25" in the rear down to .75" in the front. If anyone has any ideas for lighting? I've tried Lowes they have a 27w PC bulb but the fixture is hideous. Filter I think I have a small Petco power head somewhere or something bigger I'm sure. The plan is Excel for carbon and I don't know that it will have fauna but I can do RCS maybe the Betta if it doesn't like the 55g.

These tanks seem fun because they are perfect for tinkering. I might not feel that way once planted. So what do you guys think? I do have another arrangement with a bigger rock but less of them. I'll post that when I get good pics.

phanmc

AC Members
Jun 24, 2004
Visit site
The layout looks a little flat, angle the rocks more and have them lean on each other, form groupings.

For lighting such a small tank I'd use a desklamp with a 18-24w screw-in CFL.

Bettas and CRS aren't likely to mix well, the CRS will become betta snacks.

JAY973

AC Members
Dec 24, 2005
NJ
The layout looks a little flat, angle the rocks more and have them lean on each other, form groupings.

For lighting such a small tank I'd use a desklamp with a 18-24w screw-in CFL.

Bettas and CRS aren't likely to mix well, the CRS will become betta snacks.
Thanks phanmc!

Another attempt at rock formation so it doesn't look so flat. Is this better?

Walmart bargin find marked down from $29 to $7. It has a 13w CFL 6400K hopefully it's enough light to grow something. If not I have to check to see if I can use a higher wattage.

RedSea makes a HOB Nano filter $13, but I'm not sure that I need it. I have a Petco nano power head $10 I can reuse. Thanks for the heads up my intention was one or the other on the RCS or Betta. I did find Dwarf Barbs I'm told stay small and pigmy corys but I'm not ready.

serissime

second-guessing
Nov 24, 2008
I love my red sea nano filters. I can't tell how big your tank is but they work very well in my 2.5g tanks

Fordtrannyman

Sharing Experience and Failures!
Apr 27, 2008
So. Cal.
Thanks phanmc!

Another attempt at rock formation so it doesn't look so flat. Is this better?
That is much better.

Walmart bargin find marked down from $29 to $7. It has a 13w CFL 6400K hopefully it's enough light to grow something. If not I have to check to see if I can use a higher wattage.
Should be ok if the tank is not too tall

RedSea makes a HOB Nano filter $13, but I'm not sure that I need it. I have a Petco nano power head $10 I can reuse.
Red Sea Nano's would be the way to go! what are the tank dimensions?

JAY973

AC Members
Dec 24, 2005
NJ
I love my red sea nano filters. I can't tell how big your tank is but they work very well in my 2.5g tanks
I think mine is roughly about the same.

That is much better.
Thanks.

Should be ok if the tank is not too tall
The light does sit up pretty high about 6.5" above the tank so I was thinking maybe a platform to raise it closer should help.

Red Sea Nano's would be the way to go! what are the tank dimensions?
The tank is 10.25"Lx7"Wx7.5"H (with is more like 6 and 7/8 inches) Would the filter generate to much current for SMS?

Ryi

Shrimp fear me
Feb 10, 2009
Sunny Florida
I like your second rock formation with the angled mini-boulder, it makes the 'scape more 3 dimensional.

I've got a 3 gallon acrylic, planted w/driftwood. I'm using an air powered sponge (Whisper air pumps really are quiet) while the Biomax media for my Red Sea Nano ages in my big tank. I'll be adding the Red Sea in another week or so and moving the sponge to seed my monster tank projects.
For lighting I have a flexible gooseneck desk lamp. I picked up a 6500k Bright Effects brand cfl at Lowe's. It's a 9w cfl (replaces a 40w incandescent) and the Java and Amazon swords pearl up nicely. The flexible neck on the lamp also makes light intensity adjustments easy :)
The led that came with the tank stays on 24/7 as a moonlight, it uses virtually no power and doesn't have any effect on the plants.

Bioload is one betta, 1 otto (had a pair, will get another) and 4 ghost shrimp.

Good luck, keep us posted!

cellodaisy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2009
Cincinnati OH 45219
meganstrickland.com
Cool project! I just have to say...

The substrate is SMS had some left over from the Planted 120 and the rocks which I never considered using them until I saw similar rocks in another members tank. These rocks are like 10 yrs old and were sitting in my basement. I pulled them apart to make their size suitable for the pico
...that I'm pretty sure the rocks are a LOT more than 10 years old. :p:

JAY973

AC Members
Dec 24, 2005
NJ
I like your second rock formation with the angled mini-boulder, it makes the 'scape more 3 dimensional.

Good luck, keep us posted!
Thanks Ryi, do you have a thread and pics for your NANO anywhere? Looking for inspiration :)

Cool project! I just have to say...
...that I'm pretty sure the rocks are a LOT more than 10 years old. :p:
:lol: yes it's a play on words they were in my basement laying around for over 10 yrs...LMAO

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store