The Oto Journal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
Going to start a new thread and keep all the updates and such in here instead of scattered about.

Might not be the best time to start this as I have two big changes today. The first, my light has gone dim and no spare to replace it. Granted it will only be a day without ample light but it's a change none the less. Will stop by PetSmart on the way tomorrow for some replacement bulbs.

Second....water change today (~2g). After changing the water, I noticed it was a little bit cloudy. I just hope the water is ok but will keep an eye on it. This is the first WC for the little ones in the tank so I'll keep a close eye.

Shortly after the wc, I spotted baby up top. He would swim directly to the outflow of the HOB and get washed back to the front of the tank. He did this about three times before finally swimming off. Hopefully he was just playing.

Upon further examination of the tank, I also found (4) new baby fry. Still have the egg sacks attached. Wearing them like a belt. Kinda kewl looking.

I then fed everyone: 3 small hikari waffers broken in several small pieces scattered about and two pinches of flake food ground up.

After the flakes were in the tank for a spell and several pieces still floating up top, one of the larger babies swam up and attached itself to a flake for about a minute. He came back to the top a couple more times after that.

Tank Specs:
10g heavily planted
SMS substrate
Photo Period: 10hrs (0800-1800)

Tank Mates:
Yellow Shrimp
Briggs Snails (5)

Baby Count (as visibly seen today 05/13): 10

4 larger babies - colors showing
2 medium babies - white in color
4 hatchlings - egg sacks still attached.
1 egg

Last edited:

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
Replaced the light today but not happy with it. The fixture hums pretty loud when placed on the tank. Doesn't hum when upside down. No clue. May have to consider putting the 18w T8 light on.

Water test today (05/14):
Temp: 74
PH: 7.4
NitrAte: 40
KH: 7
GH: 12

Turned on air stone for ~ 45 minutes to break up slag on top of water.

All occupants doing just fine today. Little babies were all over the place. The egg has hatch and visibly saw (5) hatchlings. Two of them are losing their egg sacks. The bigger ones continue to work over every thing they can find.

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
Pics from 05/14

1) Current Home
2) Mom and Dad
3) Making sure the Co2 level is good
4) New wiggler

tank_051409.JPG parents2.JPG checkingco2level.JPG wiggler1.JPG

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
Major disruption today. Checked on tank and found a dead shrimp and all the snails acting funny. Didn't like what I saw and immediately went back to my water change and thinking something was wrong. I immediately did another 2g change.

I attempted to suck up some debris off the bottom when I saw a baby go up the tube! YIKES! Me and my daughter scoured over the bucket and found it. Didn't have my shrimp net so we used a very small tupperware bowl. She was able to catch it. Turns out it was a baby yellow shrimp! Kewl. A life saved.

Along with this, I decided to clean the filter media as well. I took out the pad and rinsed it out good in the old tank water. I then thought I'd better check the HOB just in case. Sure enough....(3) baby oto's had somehow worked their way through the prefilter and into the HOB. Double YIKES!

Rescue attempt under way. Decided to pour contents of filter into bowl. Had some tank water standing by to pour back in HOB just in case. Dumped into bowl, filled HOB back up and hung on the tank. Checked bowl. Two babies found. Went to check HOB. One still here. Foot got tangled in cord..down went filter on the ground.

Me and my daughter proceded to check the ground thorougly. Finally found him after a few minutes. Got him on my finger and quickly got him to the bowl. Alas, he didn't make it. I am soooo ticked!

Two remain in the bowl. To be rescued from there shortly. They've been stressed enough right now. Gonna give em a small break.

Also turned the air stone on to increase the O2 content at the moment. Not liking what I found so better give it a booster shot.

Reframer

AC Members
Feb 22, 2009
Minnesota
This is cool thread, wll done with saving so many little guys. You can put a nylon around the intake of the HOB to prevent further accidents. A sponge filter is really ideal for all fry. Good luck!

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
Thx, I do run a sponge prefilter on all my tanks. No clue how they got through there. Must have decided to work the maze of the sponge I guess. Will definately fix this.

Still working the air stone. Will turn it of in 15 mins. Should be good O2 absorbtion in there by now.

Getting ready to add the two from the bowl to the tank. <crosses fingers>

Fry Count as of 05/15 (visible at the current moment with air stone on): 7

None of the newest fry have been spotted.

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
Cleaned HOB and found a forth baby. This was already gone as well. I'm not sure if it was gone before the rescue attempt or not as I have only found three during this time. Transferring the two survivors over now.

* EDIT * First transfer - success.
* EDIT * Second transer - success

Note to self - Always use turkey baster to retrieve fry!

Air stone turned off. Will test water after a couple hours.

Last edited:

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
Here are two of the babies that were to be rescued. I know the big one (first pic) made it, not sure if the second baby was the one to make it or not.

rescue1.JPG rescue2.JPG

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
Put off water test til tomorrow since the light was off. Placed (2) slices of Zuc in the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store