Planted 90 Gallon Project

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JAY973

AC Members
Dec 24, 2005
NJ
It a shame to call this a project since that would imply I did some planning which I been to lazy to do with my tanks for quite sometime and I never learn. I end up throwing things together I have laying around for one reason or another and later find out oops I forgot something or I really should've done this before that kind of thing.

So with out further ado how not to setup a planted tank for dummies.

Determine the location of the tank and get help.
I moved this 90 gallon tank 4 times first time with a buddy next 3 times by myself.

So I finally get it moved into place on cinder-blocks

I took me starring at this picture to realize I had not put on the background. Worst yet I don't have a background to put on...LOL

Anyway I throw some parts together for an old Fluval 404 which had a leaking problem on my 120g, but I had gotten some advise that if I wiped the gasket ring with mineral oil it would help make a better seal. To my amazement it work no leak of course I only got the advise after purchasing a new 405 which happen to leak as well.

Driftwood:
Soaking for weeks.

The Substrate:
I finally decide to go with 3M quartz T-grade because I wanted color and decide on the Tahoe blue. Found someone in my neck of the woods I can purchase from in North NJ and it was interesting. Did some rinsing and it was good to go.

So here it is today.

Still have a long todo list like permanently attach the background and run electrical to that corner of the basement, but the excitement of setting up another tank always gets the best of me and I never think clearly. Even through a couple of plants in there...LOL

CrimsonBlush

Attemping to post rather than lurk
Jun 15, 2008
Twin Cities
crimsonblush.deviantart.com
Real Name
Miah
Nice tank! I think I like how the wood is placed in the first photo better though!

JAY973

AC Members
Dec 24, 2005
NJ
Thanks for the kind replies.

I did try to set the driftwood as the 1st picture multiple times but it just kept falling over so frustration set in. I'll make the attempt again if I can get some rocks to help stabilize the pieces.

Stargazer53

AC Members
Oct 4, 2006
Loving the wood as well. :) I cannot wait to see it fully stocked and planted. Keep up posted. ;)

JAY973

AC Members
Dec 24, 2005
NJ
Okay so I think I got my driftwood issue figured out and I stop being lazy and grab the DSLR instead of the point n shoot....LOL

I like this better...

Still needs rocks I think to add more dimension to the hardscape but it's a start.

aquarium1

AC Members
Jun 19, 2009
Central Kentucky
Very nice. Dw definately looks better that way.:).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store