Saltwater Rookie 29 Gallon Stocking Options

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ChrisK

AC Members
Aug 10, 2008
Sulphur, LA
I've been keeping freshwater tanks for pretty much my whole life, and wanted to take the dive into saltwater. I decided to set up a 29 gallon I had in starage (30x18x12). For Equipment I'm running a Rena XP2 for a sump, a Bak Pak 2 protein skimmer, and a tetra whisper 45 HOB filter, and 2 Koralia 2 Powerheads. I have 40 pounds of live sand, and 35 pounds of cured live rock. I'm going to start it as a FOWLR, but intend to make it a reef over time. I know I want to put a pair of Clowns in there, but not sure what else. I have a couple of questions.

1.) I'm thinking the equipment I have is pretty good, and will do the job, am I missing anything?

2.) What other fish beside the clowns can I put in there? (Keep in mind this will eventually be a reef tank.

3.) Suggestions for the clean up crew?

4.) Suggestions on a good light fixture for a 29 gallon reef?

5.) What are some easy corals I can start out with?

I'm sure I will think of some other stuff but this will do for now, any help would be much appreciated.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Welcome to the salty side!

1) Sounds like you have a good setup. Keep those filters clean and don't let any media get gunked up. You can probably get rid of one or both. Flow and your skimmer should be all you need as long as you don't slack on your tank maintenance/water changes. I understand having one if you like to run cabon, gfo, etc.

2) Lots of options. Checkout other's nano reefs and see what they are keeping. There are many blennies, gobies, basslets and small wrasses to pick from. Just stock slow and research before you buy. Also stock least aggressive fish first.

3) Variety is key IMO. Start small and build up as your tank dictates. Nassarius, astrea, cerith, fighting conch (would only add one) are popular snails. Some people like hermits while others don't. They are well known for killing snails and each other. Check out reefcleaners.org for some other ideas.

4) I like T5HO especially over smaller tanks. Depending on your budget a Metal Halide, T5, LED combo would be a wonderful light. If your going reef don't skimp on lighting or flow.

5) Lots of people stay start with soft corals. I don't. There are many LPS corals that are just as easy to keep (assuming you have the proper lighting) and they will not overrun your tank and sting the crap out of everything in the process. Plus they look better. Acans, chalices, favia are all easy IMO but will cost a bit more than a mushroom or xenia. Euphyllia (frogspawn, torch, hammer) are also fairly hardy LPS but they grow fairly quick and pack a fairly potent sting.

Take your time and all will go great! Welcome to the hobby. It's a lot of fun.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Glad it helped. Don't be shy about asking questions and maybe do a build thread. They can be very helpful as other can see what's going on as your tank develops.

ChrisK

AC Members
Aug 10, 2008
Sulphur, LA
I will probably do that build thread ;) i've done it on one of my planted tanks before and it was fun (in my sig). I've had it setup for 2 weeks now with the rock, and sand only letting everything get settled. I need to decide what i'm gonna put in there and start stocking. I'll get some shots tomorrow, and start a thread.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
PM'd you back.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
are we ever gonna get those pics?

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Your right, its not much, but i like it. Simple, but with plenty of hiding spots fer fish.

\Also, its always nice to have pics from start ter finish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store