Fish for 20 Gallon High Aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Weather11am

AC Members
May 4, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
I am setting up a 20 gallon high aquarium. I have been trying to explore my options. I plan to get a sponge filter and Penguin Boi Wheel filter.

Could i put:
6 Cardinal Tetras
6 Cory Catfish
1 Molly
3 Sword Tails
1 Redtail Shark
4 Hatchet fish

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Too many fish, too many different water preferences, IMO. I would cut the molly (these are social fish that do better in a group, also prefer harder water than Amazonian tetras and cories), the sword tails (they'll soon breed enough to fill the tank), the red tail shark (6 inch fish with a nasty attitude, not a good choice for a small tank).

The tetras, cories and hatchet fish should work fine together, and occupy all levels of the tank. Have the tank well cycled before adding the cardinals--they are hardy once established, but sensitive to the nitrogen cycle and changes in water. Make sure the tank is securely covered, or the hatchets will carpet surf.

anonapersona

Reads a lot, knows a little
Mar 7, 2003
Houston
Visit site
I agree

OrionGirl has a great suggestion on the mix, then you could probably increase the cardinals, depending on how the tank filtration is and how clean you keep it.

8-10 cardinals
6 cories
4 hatchet fish

TPIRman

Fishkeeping Yellow Belt
Mar 5, 2004
New York, NY
Visit site
The swordtail prefers groups, so just one isn't a good idea. OG + Anona came up with a good stocking plan for you IMO -- nice activity at top, middle, and bottom of the tank as OG said.

Is there a particular reason you wanted a sponge filter in addition to the Penguin filter? I think a Penguin Bio-Wheel 125 should take care of a 20H's filtration needs pretty well.

Weather11am

AC Members
May 4, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
The reason for the extra filtration is so that I can more fish in my tank. What about angelfish? Would they work with the hatchet fish, tetras, and the corys?

Any other ideas for what fish to put in a 20-gallon high aquarium?

Andy

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
If you wanted to add Angels in the mix of cardinals and cories, they'd be fine but only in a bigger tank. When starting with Angels, the least amount of tank needed per Angel is at the very least 1 in a 20 and that IMO is stretching it....my personal preference would be 1 for a 30, then you may have 1 more per 10 gallons up from that.

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
Angels are too big for that tank. Besides, most angels would LOVE to eat cardinals. Cardinals/neons make up much of their diet in the wild.

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
my mistake, Leo is right.... I was under the assumption that the Angels would go for neon tetras, not cardinals because the cardinals were a little bigger.... but apparently, they will attack, if not, eat both types. Thanks for the enlightenment Leo ;)

and check me out, keeping Angels for the better part of 10+ years, and I'm still learning ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store