Canister filter media and cleaning

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Heady

Cardinal Rule
Feb 22, 2003
Pacific Northwest
Visit site
1) What canister media do you use, and in what order?
2) How often do you change out the media with fresh media?
3) How often do you clean your canister filters?
4) Do you ever clean the hoses?
5) How often do you do water changes and how much water do you change?
6) Do you have any algae problems?

fpsiv

AC Members
Sep 25, 2003
St. Louis, MO
Visit site
OK... I'll bite...

1) What canister media do you use, and in what order?
Filstar XP3 - media from the bottom up:
- 2X 20 ppi sponge
- 2X 30 ppi sponge
- Bed of ceramic rings
- Bed of ceramic rings & bio chem stars
- Bed of bio chem stars
- 3X "micro filtration" pad

2) How often do you change out the media with fresh media?
Bio media (rings and stars) - never
Coarse sponges (20/30 ppi) - haven't had to yet
Micro Filtration pads - as they wear out

3) How often do you clean your canister filters?
Every weekend with the waterchange

4) Do you ever clean the hoses?
yes - approximately 3X / year

How often do you do water changes and how much water do you change?
20% waterchange every weekend

6) Do you have any algae problems?
No - but see my stock list... SAEs, ottos, bristlenose pleco...

cheers,
-fpsiv

Last edited:

beviking

Senior Member, Sophomoric Attitude
Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
Hello Heady,
I also use an XP3, from bottom up (in direction of water flow):
- ceramic noodles, coarse and med.coarse pads, ceramic noodles and bioballs mixed.
-I haven't switched any out yet but will switch out the pads when they wear out.
-I've been cleaning the filter once a month
-I only clean the hoses (please don't hate me NJ)when stuff blows out of them when restarting the filter (about once every 3-4 months)
-I change 30g (out of 90) every week
-I just started getting a little algae (mostly on front glass and foreground plants. There are four skylights and windows on three walls in the room so there is a lot of light in the room. In the past, I've cut back on feeding and algae has gone away. I wouldn't consider it a problem.

HTH

anonapersona

Reads a lot, knows a little
Mar 7, 2003
Houston
Visit site
What canister media?

bottom=eheim noodles, middle=eheim substrat, top=cut white padding, quilting, or bonded filter sheets trimmed to fit

Change out the media and clean?

white padding every two months at filter cleaning, other media-- not yet, less than 1 year old

Do you ever clean the hoses?

Yes, at filter cleaning I drain water from the tank through the hose and this cleans a lot of debris from the hoses. This water is shot into a bucket and I rinse the media in that water. The fluval I have to clean about every 4th month or 6th month for it does not clear when I drain water through it. The Eheims clear better, I did clean them at about 6 months but it wasn't that necesary.

How often do you do water changes and how much water do you change?

Planted tanks--50%/week for higher light/higher fertilizer tanks. Lower light planted tanks (low fertilizer additions) get skipped ocassionally and get at minimum 50% every other week. Heavily stocked cichlid tank (big fish) gets 50% a week and alternate week gravel vacs or sometimes weekly depending on my time. Heavily stocked juvenile discus tank (heavy feeding) gets 20% water changes a day, plus 50% every 3rd day or so.

Do you have any algae problems?

Heavily planted tank is 100% clean, I wipe glass once a month maybe, only if I notice something near the lights. Snails and otos and shrimp keep it clean.

The lower light tank has some brush algae or used to but I can't see the driftwood anymore so I'm not sure and it has a bit of green algae on the glass on the side near the gravel but I only clean glass every month or so now so it is very mild algae. It has otos and snails and shrimp also. 2 Eheim filters.

The big cichlid tank has some brown algae on the side facing the window that I wipe every few weeks. No snails or otos or shrimp there. Lights only on afternoon to evening so I can enjoy them. 2 Eheim filters.

The discus tank has no algae, but I wipe glass every week of brown algae. No snails or otos or shirmp. Lights on 10 hours a day. I've seen the discus try to suck on the glass but their mouths are not the right shape, I think they'd eat algae if they could. HOB and sponge filters.

I have another lightly planted low light tank with only albino bristle nose plecos and shrimp that are cleaning up the brown algae I got in that tank when I started keeping the light on for the plants I added. It is very clean now. It will have discus eventually. 2 eheims.

There is another Q tank with wood and plants and some snails and it has a bit of algae when I remember to feed the plants some fertilizer. Not canister filter.

There is another planted tank that I ignore mostly, it has no algae, few fish, only plants I keep to sell. Not canister filter.

bayoupr

AC Members
Oct 13, 2002
Avondale, La.
Visit site
Mine are all sponged up. Squeeze out in a bucket of tank water, put back into cannister, done. I have a pre-filter sponge on my intake, so I can go quite sometime before cleaning.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store