Will gourami's feelers grow back?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Sep 14, 2003
www.geocities.com
I don't know what the correct name for them is, but I think one of my catfish bit one of them off while I was doing a black-out. Anyway, whatever happened it only has one feeler now.

Is this going to grow back or will it only have the one from now on? It doesn't seem to have affected it any, but I hope it will regrow.

Supprisingly, the gourami is the only one that ever does any chasing around. I guess they were just getting payback while the lights were out for so long.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Depends. If the feeler was broken in the middle, it will eventually grow back. If it was broken off really close to the body, it may not. I've had them lose all but about 1/4 inch and it grew back just fine. Keeping the water conditions tip top and feeding a healthy variety will do far more for the fish than any additive. The injury is unlikely to become infected, IME, simply because it is such a small wound that it closes quickly.

Sep 14, 2003
www.geocities.com
It is probably broken at about 1/8" from the body, if I had to guess. I'm at work now so I can't double check.

It couldn't hurt to watch the water quality a little closer. I've been very busy this semester with work/school, but I could use this for motivation to check it more often.

Thanks.

SuperD

Does anyone have the time?
Sep 12, 2004
Gulfport, MS
Warning, do not use Melafix or Bettafix on any kind of labyrynth fish including gouramis. The active ingredient will irratate the labyrynth organ and can cause death. There is an article on fishgeeks.com that tells you all about it. Go under the help forums and then go to anabantoids or bettas or gouramis, I can't remember exactly which one it is. Do take into consideration that some people have had different experiences with this product. I don't want to discourage you from using if you choose to, I just want you to know that there may be a risk involved. Good luck.

karfixer

AC Members
Dec 3, 2002
So. Cal
Visit site
I've use Melafix-and Pimafix with my Gold Gouramis and Bettas without any issues as have many others. Unless there is a sign of infection clean water is the best thing for fish, so do regular, even extra water changes. If there are signs of infection then treat your fish with medication. My .02 Worth

Sep 14, 2003
www.geocities.com
I had some glass cats years ago that got a feeler broken off and it grew back with no problems. Hopefully yours will grow back, too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store