Losing last fish :( ...will continue w/fishless cycle

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mishi8

Go fly a kite!
Jan 13, 2005
Alberta
My last remaining balloon molly is probably not going to survive the next day or so, despite frequent water changes to reduce nitrites, and adding salt to the water. We're at week 8 in cycling the tank and, over the last several weeks, have been seeing nitrites yo-yo from 0.5 to 2.0 and back, nitrates are ranging from 5-8ish. Ammonia has consistently stayed at 0 now for 12 days. Today's readings are: temp 80F, pH 7.8-8.0, ammonia 0, nitrite 2ish, nitrate 5+, 180 KH, ~180 GH (somewhere between 150-300).

When this fish dies, I'm going to continue with a fishless cycle. The gravel may or may not be a bit of an issue with raising the pH (usual tank readings of 8-8.2...gravel is a mix of all sorts of pebbles, supposedly expoxy coated), so I'm probably going to change it out just to be on the safe side. My tap water readings are: pH 7.6 (surprising, it's usually closer to 8!), ammonia 0.5!, nitrite 0, nitrate 0, kH 180, GH 180ish (between 150-300).

I have a few questions about how to prepare the tank to do a fishless cycle... Should I clean the tank and decorations thoroughly (using just water or water/vinegar) before starting again? They have some brown algae growth on them. Or is it better to just let them stay as is? The gravel will change, so I'll rinse it before putting it in the tank (will do a final rinse with dechlorminated water). I'll keep the original filter media going as is, since I've already grown at least some of the beneficial bacteria. Anything else I need to do?

Otherwise I plan on staying with the way my tap water is, rather than adjusting pH down. If I have problems with pH rising too much, I may add peat to help, but will be staying away from chemical pH adjustments. Once I'm done with fishless cycling I'm looking at having a livebearer tank: platies, maybe some balloon mollies again.

mishi8

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
If you're really worried about the gravel, just pull it and replace it, especially if you're continuing to cycle fishlessly. You may lose some good bacteria, but at least you can eliminate the gravel as a possible source of water parameter problems. Otherwise, don't clean your tank or filter; you want to preserve any bacteria you can.

Good luck!

Jim

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store