5.5 gallon betta setup~help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

palmbreeze

Fish are friends...not food!
Jul 26, 2005
Ohio
I'm pretty new to plants. My fiance has a planted tank, and i have some plants in my 55, but very minimal. They just sit there and grow, that's it.

I am setting up a 5.5 gallon aquarium. It is going to be a divided betta tank, with a male betta on each side. I want it to be planted. The plants I am thinking about are...Bateri Round Leaf, Green Hedge, and Lilaeopsis Novae. The light is just going to be a regular flourecent light. The filter is going to be an AquaClear Mini.

What should I do with substrate?

Will these plants be good together? Look good together? Be ok for Bettas?

Anything specific I need to know about them from those who have kept them?

Thanks for any advice!

phanmc

AC Members
Jun 24, 2004
Visit site
What's the wattage on the fluorescent light?

The Anubias Bateri should do well under low light conditions. Substrate is not important.

The Green Hedge isn't an aquatic plant and will die if totally submerged.

Lilaeopsis needs alot of light and a good substrate, something like flourite, Eco-Complete, Onyx Sand or Gravel, Schultz Aquatic Soil, etc. If your tank is a low light setting, try finding some marsilea minuta or hemianthus callitrichoides instead.

Aries

"Umm...., what is that!!??"
Jan 19, 2003
Ohio, Dayton
Visit site
Fiance here, the wattage is 14W NO - All-Glass bulb. Yields 2.54 WPG (for those not want to do math).

What about fertilization recommendations - if any? Flourish excel for CO2 - is it needed? Will 2.54WPG be enough for Lilaeopsis Novae?

There will be an option for 90-95% Flourite (the rest is regualar gravel because could not justify spending another $18 for only .8kg).

Water here is very hard (out of tap) ~10KH and 22+GH. PH is around 8.

Thanks

Aries

phanmc

AC Members
Jun 24, 2004
Visit site
The wpg rule doesn't work for lower wattage tubes, the 14 watt tube simply doesn't give off enough energy to benefit most plants so I'd still consider this a low light tank. The Bateri should be fine but I don't think the Lilaeopsis will do well.

A mix of flourite and regular small grain gravel is fine.

palmbreeze

Fish are friends...not food!
Jul 26, 2005
Ohio
I really like the grassy plants though. Any other grassy plants that would be good for this setup? What about large grassy plants in the back, with the anubias for midground, and then maybe the ground cover suggested above.

phanmc

AC Members
Jun 24, 2004
Visit site
Echinodorus Tenellus (micro chain sword) might work. They are a bit easier to take care of compared to most other grasslike plants, though they can get a bit taller than Lilaeopsis.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store