Substrate and Cycling

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

palmbreeze

Fish are friends...not food!
Jul 26, 2005
Ohio
I posted previously about setting up my new 5.5 gallon divided Betta aquarium. I have decided on the AquaClear mini filter, tronic heater, two male bettas (one on each side) and four ottos (two on each side). The water will be hard and the ph is usually high.

I'm not sure what type of plants I am going to get. Still up in the air on that.

The substrate I plan on using is Seachem Flourite mixed with a little black gravel. Will this be enough? I've read about different setups like soil/peat moss on the bottom and then more layers of different stuff. I am a beginner, and I don't think I am ready for a high tech tank yet. I was thinking of sand, but I have read that it can be a hassle for plants.

As for cycling.....I plan on fishless cycling. How do I go about setting this up? Do I just put the plants in right away or should I cycle the tank first? Do I fishless cycle the same way as I would a non planted tank?

Thanks for any advice. I'm kind of clueless when it comes to this (for now) and want to ask the experts. :D

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
Somerdale, New Jersey USA
Lighting (wattage)?
Unless things have changed, I think the only way Flourite comes is in a 15# bag. This would be more than enough for your tank. Or is there some reason that you want to add the black?
Adding a little peat moss and some mulm from another filter on the bottom is to establish a bio-colony and instantly age up the tank, so-to-speak. Then if you toss in a bunch of plants you are ready for one betta to kick things off with no need to cycle the tank.
If you are more comfortable with fishless cycling then go for it. I don't see the necessity of waiting weeks for a colony to establish itself when you can do it the other way. The plants will protect the fish you put in initially and in a week or so you can throw in his tank-mate.

Len

Aries

"Umm...., what is that!!??"
Jan 19, 2003
Ohio, Dayton
Visit site
We are splitting a bag of flourite between the two 5.5g tanks. From the posts you have helped me, it might seem that we should have enough for a "11 gallon" tank - yes?

FYI

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
Somerdale, New Jersey USA
Ok, now I understand. Two 5.5's.
I personally like a deep substrate. I work alot with Crytocoryne and they seem to do well in deeper material.
My 5.5 has about 3" in the back sloping down to 1.5" in the front. I guess you could use that as sort of a guide, unless you think that that's a totally ridiculous depth:).
I got a broken bag of Flourite containing about 10 lbs. from my LFS for a couple of bucks and supplemented it with that cheapie generic, fine grained stuff. This combination worked out well, but I can't remember how many pounds the 'cheapie' substrate contained.
My plants grow just as well in the mixed substrate as they do in 100% Flourite.:)

Len

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store