Anchor Worm Treatment?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TPIRman

Fishkeeping Yellow Belt
Mar 5, 2004
New York, NY
Visit site
Hi all,

I've got a few platies in QT right now that are suffering from an anchor worm outbreak. I first spotted the "worms" a little under two weeks ago, and I treated the tank with praziquantel. I unfortunately lost two fish, but the others seem to be improving -- becoming more active, nibbling at food again, etc.

I'm on the second 7-day prazi treatment cycle now, and I'm wondering about how best to proceed. While the prazi appears to have stopped any further anchor worm reproduction, there's still worms holding on tight to the remaining fishes.

Some of the literature I've read on the 'net says that the worms must be removed manually. Unfortunately, that same literature is pretty short on details. I've never performed "surgery" on fish, and while I'm willing, I also want to make sure I get it right.

So, two questions to those who may have more experience with anchor worms:

1. Is manual removal necessary to rid a fish of anchor worms?
2. If so, how do I go about performing the surgery -- and do I need to treat the wound afterward?

OK, that was more like three questions, but you get the idea.

Thanks in advance.

-John

P.S. Daveedka, your posts re: prazi in these same forums were invaluable, so thanks!

Sully

AC Members
Jan 24, 2003
Visit site
i would try something simple and widely available like Parasite Clear.

It is not really a worm. Really a copepod. attaches at the mouth, has a forked tail and will be less than an inch at max.

Are you feeding Bloodworms or Blackworms?

TPIRman

Fishkeeping Yellow Belt
Mar 5, 2004
New York, NY
Visit site
Hi all,

Thanks for your replies. I have read up on these parasites, including the page linked by Bigguppy, and like I said, I've treated the tank chemically. (Praziquantel is actually the main ingredient in Parasite Clear.) What I'm looking for is somebody who has direct experience with manually removing/successfully eradicating the "worms" and might have some insight to offer.

Thanks again for writing back -- I do appreciate it.

Sully

AC Members
Jan 24, 2003
Visit site
i ignored the manual removal option because it is extremely stressful for the fish. If you opt for that route you should do a topical application of antibiotic at site of wound immediately upon removal of worm.

pwrsonally I would not opt for that choice. but, obviously it is your call.

SpitRhyma

AC Members
Oct 16, 2007
life bearer is definately the way to go w/ scaled fish!!! it works INSTANTLY!!! took my dying angel fish out of the gravel and back to swimming around normally and eating 20 minutes after application.

use caution on scaleless fish!

don't use on corals or inverts!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store