Angelfish Prolapse

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CharlieV

AC Members
Feb 16, 2005
Hi all,

One of my Angels has a prolapse (i think). Basically out of it's anus is a small section of what looks like his intestine.
I feed a varied diet to all of my fish and include veg flakes for they angels and tetras etc. I also soak my flake / frozen before feeding.
Wataer perams are a ok and my maintainance schedule is 30% per week keeping all readings (Ammonia, Ntrate and Ntirite) at 0.
Dual filtered just to be sure.

Not eating at the moment and noticed it this morning. Was ok last night. Frozen blood worm fed last night with small ammount of veg flakes as a starter!

What could have caused this?
Is there anything I can do to heal him/her as I don't want to euthanise???

Sully

AC Members
Jan 24, 2003
Visit site
a prolapse?

The only time I have seen the extrusion of an organ from the anus is when the fish has a problem with internal parasites. The fish usually died within a day though. So, you may have what is truly a prolapse.

I would euthanise.

CharlieV

AC Members
Feb 16, 2005
been living now for 2 days with it - not even clamping fins!

last night looked like it had retracted slightly but could just be me.

any more advice greatly recieved

snakeskinner

AC Members
Dec 27, 2003
Oklahoma
www.okcaa.org
are you sure this is not the egg tube on a female? Kyle

CharlieV

AC Members
Feb 16, 2005
yep it's oin a juvy (about 2") - def intestinal as you can see the sphinctoral muscle on the end of the tube

CharlieV

AC Members
Feb 16, 2005
some kind of fish dr? more like present form santa!

Will post this on origional thread but.....

Angelfish now has nothing protruding at all and eating a little less but not so little as to be concerned.
Only change in his/her behaviour is being a little more skittish around the other angels where as before he/she was one of the main bullies!
will see how he/she progresses, and keep regular water change schedule up (increased to 4 x 50% per week cos of Ich out break - under control now - Man Ro from yr lfs quickly becomes expensive :mad2: 50gal a week at £0.25 per litre........ it soon adds up!)

Will post over next couple of weeks to let you know how it goes.
If someone more experienced than myself with Ich (Davedka?) could post an answer a theory for me....

Could the origional prolapse (was def that had a friend confirm- he's an ichthyologist??? means he studies fish in great detail!!!) have been caused by stress?

Can stress induce constipation in fish?

Could it be that the heat increase helped to heal? (total increase of 7degF over 3 days as advised for Ich - no salt my plec hates it)

Could the increasd water changes have healed / relaxes fish? (My Maintainance is spotless and keep water all week at Am0,N'Trite0 and NTrate between 0 and 5 (planted tank))

He/She started eating a couple of days after it happened could that have loosend the bowl / moved any obsturction..?

And finally..........

Has anyone had a fish recover from a prolapse before? I think I'm Very Lucky! :D

kay-bee

AC Members
Sep 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
I've had it occur in my tank once or twice...not sure what the cause was, but adding some epsom salt into the tank resolved it real fast.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store