Seeking: Typhlonectes Natans | Caecilians | "Rubber Worm / Eel"

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BrownBullhead

AC Members
May 16, 2005
[Canada] Ile-des-Chenes, Manitoba
Seeking: Typhlonectes Natans | Caecilians | "Rubber Worm / Eel"

Do any of you ever see these 100% aquatic amphibians in your local shops? Typhlonectes Natans or commonly sold as "Rubber Worm / Eel"? Petland had received about 24 of these for each Winnipeg store in December 2003 but they sold out rather quickly!

I had bought two from the Crossroads location on a whim and for the next 18 months they were one of my favourite pets. Sadly, I lost both due to poor practic and leaving open space at the back of the tank where one escaped in March 2005 and the other in November 2005. :(

They can live with most fish so long as the fish are not the aggressive type, but I wouldn't recommend them with guppies or neons or anything that size. ;)

So, do you guys ever see these locally? There were some good sources in USA via http://www.caecilian.org/ before that site disappeared, and the one guy in Ontario who said he could get these ran into some roadblocks the last time I had placed a deposit for some.

I've put a couple pictures below of the ones I owned. Please let me know if you guys see these in your local shops.

BrownBullhead

AC Members
May 16, 2005
[Canada] Ile-des-Chenes, Manitoba

Toirtis

Keeper of strange fishes
BrownBullhead said:
I found two specimens today at Fish Gallery (Winnipeg, Manitoba) for $30 CA ($27 US) each. I immediately bought both. ;)
They are from Oliver (belowwater.com) no doubt....as far as I am aware, he is the only person that can get them into Canada right now.

TorturedSOUL

AC Members
Apr 3, 2005
You're an idiot for 1) letting the first fish get out of your tank and 2) letting the second fish get out of your tank 6 months later. Shows that you are truley unworthy of keeping fish. :duh:

Toirtis

Keeper of strange fishes
TorturedSOUL said:
You're an idiot for 1) letting the first fish get out of your tank and 2) letting the second fish get out of your tank 6 months later. Shows that you are truley unworthy of keeping fish. :duh:
And you are an idiot for referring to an amphibian as a fish. Shows that you are truly unworthy of opening your mouth.

Every aquarist has had a tank inhabitant or two escape in their careers....and unless you have personally had extensive experience with keeping Gymnophonia, you have no idea what is involved in keeping them secure, nor how often they get around the best thought-out plans. You would do better to remain within your own apparently very limited experience when responding to posts.

Last edited:

tricksterpup

It's SPRING!!! BUNNIE RABBITS
Apr 16, 2001
Minneapolis
tricksterpupstanks.blogspot.com
Real Name
Jim Soos
Toirtis said:
And you are an idiot for referring to an amphibian as a fish. Shows that you are truly unworthy of opening your mouth.

Every aquarist has had a tank inhabitant or two escape in their careers....and unless you have personally had extensive experience with keeping Gymnophonia, you have no idea what is involved in keeping them secure, nor how often they get around the best thought-out plans. You would do better to remain within your own apparently very limited experience when responding to posts.
They are very interesting creatures, Eventually down the line I would love to try one in a large tank. But then again, I have plenty of experience with keeping reptiles and amphibians. Its not a creature I would recommend to many keepers and you are right, most do not know the amount of work that goes into keeping one of these aquatic beauties.

red devil

AC Members
Jan 7, 2003
Shenzhen, China
Visit site
Yes. They are one of the most fascinating creatures to watch in an aquarium, the way they float through the water. I have wondered...do they have jaws that are disjointable, so that they can swallow really large objects or are they limited to what will fit in their mouth?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store