Help setting up a seahorse/pipefish tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lucas Kane

AC Members
Oct 10, 2005
Hello I have a 38 gallon reef tank that I love but my mother and sister are driving me crazy saying I need seahorse’s and I don’t think they would live long in a 38 gallon reef tank with 2clowns and a wrasse and the lighting in that tank is not set up for hard corals which they need.

So I came to you guys for help in setting up another tank (which im gonna love doing :D ) for say 2 seahorses and a pipefish? I don’t know for sure that’s why im righting. Anyway I guess im just saying give me your best ideas :idea: . Like corals, plants, and type of lighting for said fish. Ok well go crazy thanks

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
plant thier tank with macro algae, maybe use a 20g long for them and the hard corals probably are'nt a good idea for any tank younger than a year, acording to garf. rocks and fake corals should be just as good for them in my opinion. And, if you can, get tank bred fish, they'l be a LOT easier to get eating, and are always worth the extra money no matter what the species.

rayjay

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
www.angelfire.com
First of all, seahorses need a lot of attention that most people aren't prepared to give.
Almost all need cooler water than a reef tank is best set up at, need a tall tank, as well as a lot of specific situations, including possible tank mates, specific types of coral etc.........
Best to go to the seahorse web sites and read the archives, search the older threads, and then you can ask questions about specifics.
http://www.seahorse.org/
http://www.syngnathid.org/

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
If the above posts sound discouraging, I suppose it's because keeping seahorses is not a trivial matter.

As rayjay said, you have to be willing to devote the time to these guys, no matter how you set the tank up. CB seahorses need to be fed frozen mysis daily, preferably twice a day. That's something I'm up against as I think about going on vacation next month. Wild caught SH, and almost all pipes need live food.

They are also messy eaters, so you will need to be fairly fastidious about keeping the tank clean. That combined with low flow make the tanks very prone to algae.

For a pair of a middle-sized species, like erectus or reidi, 20 gallon is bare minimum, and a 25 tall or 29 would be better. They don't care that much about decor, as long as they have plenty of things, either real or artificial, to hitch on. I prefer the natural approach, with seagrasses, macroalgae and gorgonians (you might have a look here to see some photos of my tank), both for aesthetics, and because the plants are good for dealing with the nutrients generated by the SHs. I am using 250 watts of metal halide, but you could have macroalgae like caulerpa, gracilaria and so on with quite a bit less.

Tankmates? I like snails, porcelain crabs, maybe a few small shrimp. SHs are slow eaters, and most fish can outcompete them.

Lucas Kane

AC Members
Oct 10, 2005
wow thx everyone im glad i came here :D It sounds like a lot of work (that’s what I tried telling my sister :p) and im more 100% focused on my reeftank at the moment but I will continue to check out the sites you have listed and if I do go for it I will be sure to post some pics :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store