Black Ich Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mikediamo

AC Members
Apr 24, 2006
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
hello everyone i am running into an issue with black ich
Here are the stats
65 gallon tank
80 degrees
uv steralizer
salinity is good
ph good at 8.2
nitrate 60
nitrite 0
ammonia 0
feeding
romain lettuce, squid frozen from grocery, flake food
4 yellow tangs
1 sailfin tang
1 blue hippo tang
1 whit mouth eel

the main issue i have is the frozen squid i bought in the grocery store capable of harboring black ich. i never have had problems then one day bam black spots on all of the tangs
i have done nothing in the last 6 mo and no new fish added. so the only way i can think of is through the squid
the tank has live rock, snails and a few feather dusters so how can i kill the ich living in the gravel

right now the fish were givin a fromolin bath and are in a 10 gallon qt with malafix

any advice

mike

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
first off, your tank is WAY overstocked, and the formalin probably did more harm than good, freshwater dipps are the best way to go in my opinion. You NEED to get a bigger quarantine, the fish will most likely die off in that size tank regardless if they have ich or not. If the squid is capablr of harboring black ich, stop feeding it, hikari has a really good line of frozen foods that have gon through a 5 stage steriliation procces. Get a bigger tank, and use the 65 as the quarantine, Im surprised all those fish can even fit in a 10g.

mikediamo

AC Members
Apr 24, 2006
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
clarify

thanks for the advise i guess i should have stated i only put 2 fish in the qt tank last night i gave the others a bath and put them back in the main tank however today after i gave them the bath 3 of the yellow tangs died so it proves what you said earlier about the fromulan bath. what is your opinion about malafix in the main tank

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
have;nt used mela fix, although I was in a situation with a male betta(started out with them, I'm always gonna have freshwater as well as salt) where it was recomended that I use it. With good water quality(more frequent water changes) and more frequent feeding, he was back to normal and you could hardly tell he got in a fight(divider on 5g failed) within a week. I say chemicals are'nt needed unless your tank is improperly maintaned,including melafix.

here is a good article on the lifecycle of ich(even though it's for fresh, it's all for the most part correct info for marine ich) and how to use heat to treat ich, wich I suggest you do, as it wil kill ich at 90F. Keep the tank well aerated with airstones (this is the only time I suggest using them) or lots of powerheads (use atleast 10x turnover per hour) and remove any fish that exhibit signs of exesive stress (they will all be stressed, just remove the ones that look like there really affected by it) to the quarantine, where a freshwater dipp will be sufficeint becuase of how sterile you can keep a quarantine.

PLEASE do not take just my word for it, I'm not completly sure if heat works for marine ich or the differences between normal ich and black ich. At the moment my usual site for disease treatment is down and I can't find a site with info as good as it has/had.

Gealcath

AC Members
Nov 9, 2003
Visit site
Best way to cure Ich:

Remove ALL fish to a quarantine and treat it with copper, then let the aquarium run fishless for about 3-4 weeks. This will solve your Ich problem.

claire1

Registered Member
Jun 1, 2006
I had a case of ich too. Not black ich though. You need to take the carbon filter out and treat the tank as well as the fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store