do cleaner shrimp eat ich?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
i'm just wondering if my clown was to ever come down with ich, that my cleaner shrimp might eat them off. I mean my shrimp cleans my clown at least once a day, and they are supposed to eat external parasites, right? and ich are external parasites, so it would be only natural for a cleaner to eat ich.

Kabong

AC Members
Oct 17, 2004
They will eat some, But they are not a cure for Ich.

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
They will not eat cryptocaryon, aka marine ich. Too small, too deeply embedded. They normally feed on much larger parasites, such as flukes and copepods.

If you quarantine properly, your clown will not get ich.

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
Just to add to what morgunda said, 5-7 months ago when I was dealing with ich for the seconfd time in my tank, I had a cleaner shrimp. Well, he never "cleaned" the fish, and only tried to eat the dead clownfish (thankfully the only loss).

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
well, thats good to know, because if you have ever read the story about my clowns nasty incounter with a mantis shrimp, you know the little guy is stressed to pieces and hasn't come out of his anemone in a whole day. I think he's wounded. but I wouldn't be surprised after his epic struggle for his right not to be mantis shrimp food.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store