Algae problems

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

derek681

AC Members
Nov 27, 2005
Since about Week 2 of converting my tank into SW I have had algae problems mainly Cyano. I converted my 215ltr FW tank to a SW setup on the 9th March 2006 I thoroughly cleaned both canister filters and purchased new media the sand was changed for New coral sand. The tank was initially setup with RO water and instant ocean salt, 2 canister filters, 2 maxijet mp1200’s, a Deltec mce 600 skimmer, 150g of rowa phos, a T5 4 tube 54w luminaire ( http://www.arcadia-uk.info/product.php?psub=0&pid=3&mid=10&lan=en&id=4 ) and 10kg of live rock. I added a further 10kg on the 15th march 2006. I started to remove the media from one of the canisters on 20th march and added a further 5kg of live rock on the 24th march the rowa phos was replaced on the 26th march and I started to do weekly 10% water changes from the 27th march up until about a fortnight ago when I moved them to fortnightly. On the 23rd august I completely removed one of the canister filters which only had a sponge and filter wool in which left the other canister filter which is empty and is only their for carbon and filter wool which is changed when I do water changes, on the 29th of august I added a DI unit to my RO system on the 6th September I replaced my RO filters which where 6mths old, replaced the row phos and added a further 2 mp1200’s and a wavemaker, on the 22nd September I replaced my T5 unit with a series 3 150w halide and added a phosban reactor on the 27th September. I am currently using Aqua-Medic Reef salt for water changes mixed overnight to a sg of 1024sg.
My current clean up crew is 15 red hermits, 12 blue leg hermits, 18 turbos, 2 cleaner shrimps, a peppermint shrimp and an urchin. Feeding is currently every other day.

My current parameters are:

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: <.5ppm
PH: 8.2
KH: 7.4dkh
Salinity: 1025sg
Temperature: 25.3C
Phosphates: 0ppm Using Merc high sensitivity test kit

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

DSCF0001.jpg DSCF0004.jpg DSCF0005.jpg

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
Derek, I know that we've talked about this on several occasions in chat. I didn't realise how horrid the problem really was! From the looks of it the only think I can think of would be to open up your reef a bit more the extra water flow would help with all the other mitigation methods that you've done.
You might consider increaseing your feeding duration to every 3 days and add more snails ,"variety is best read liz's clean up crew sticky in marine newbie ". There are also some chemicals you can use to remove the cyano ,"read marine mom's post" but, there are risks involved and never use one that's based on an antibiotic.

I really hope someone else see's this and has some more ideas for you but, I'll admit that I'm stumped. After you installed your phosphate reactor it might just be a matter of time. You might also consider reducing the number of hours your lights are on just make sure your corals don't bleach,"6 hours max per day"! You can tell when that starts to happen as they will start to loose color.

I hope someone else sees this and gives you a better idea if you need me p.m. me.

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
Just a minor addition. The cyano doesn't look right is it comming up in sheets ? Has it's growth slowed as of late? It might just be the pics or my monitor. Just being hopefull.

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
wow, and I see the bubles you were talking about to! It must be really cooking it has to be getting it's nutrients from somewhere.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store