Wal-Mart bulbs planted tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rosswake

AC Members
Aug 7, 2006
Here is my guppy tank with a handful of the bulbs I bought at Wal-Mart. It has turned out to be fairly nice. I think the fish enjoy it, but I wish I had seperated the plants a little more when they were younger. thoughts?

I know, its kinda small. I can't get the image to show larger. still working on it.

rosswake

AC Members
Aug 7, 2006
hopefully, this will be bigger

Last edited:

beviking

Senior Member, Sophomoric Attitude
Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
Looks great! Is that nemo in the center? The plant in the back left (dark green with light edges) isn't an aquatic plant...hopefully it's fake. Just an fyi when it starts to deteriorate on you ;)

rosswake

AC Members
Aug 7, 2006
I was wondering about that plant in the back-left. It has started to look horrible and I keep having to take leaf after leaf off of it b/c it starts to rot. I bought it at Petco for like $10. It is one of those plants that are packaged individually so you don't get snails. Are you sure its not an aquatic plant? why would they sell it as such if it wasn't? Oh yeah, to make money! That aggravates me big time. lol. oh well. I guess I know that its not my fault it keeps dying.

jennfier

..o0o..o0o..
Aug 22, 2006
SW Ohio
www.aquariacentral.com
Looks great for walmart bulb plants! The bulbs i dropped in my 40g that has sad old pinkish <1wpg lights with no special plant care are getting bushy and flowering. The regular plants I have in my 10g that has all the extras are so much more demanding. Great looking tank.

CaitxSith

A little too obsessed with neons.
Sep 30, 2006
The pond with some Triops
http://www.plantgeek.net/plant-276.htm

hehe...

so those bulbs make plants? Do the plants grow flowers? It's the only thing between them and me :D. And do they need co2 and a specific type of gravel? Fertilizer (please don't say excel or flourish >_>. i want something different like aquaria pharmeceudical (what??) fert)? gravel thickness (mine's 1 cm)? kH (fyi, i don't know my kh so then i'm afraid my co2 will mess up the pH)? lighting? do they grow tall or small or medium? do you plant them undergravel?

i just REALLY want plants (live) now.... just can't wait! because my LFS doesn't have plants... except for those bulbs

*EDIT* ok... walmart bulbs? my lfs only has some other kind of bulbs... forgot what they're called...

when do they sprout and when should you take them out?

Last edited:

lucky777ca

AC Members
Jan 25, 2006
I think they call them Sandriana here in Manitoba, Canada... They are supposedly from the same family/group as the lucky bamboo (needs to be in water, but emersed).

br553

AC Members
Sep 27, 2006
CaitxSith said:
http://www.plantgeek.net/plant-276.htm

so those bulbs make plants? Do the plants grow flowers? It's the only thing between them and me :D. And do they need co2 and a specific type of gravel? Fertilizer (please don't say excel or flourish >_>. i want something different like aquaria pharmeceudical (what??) fert)? gravel thickness (mine's 1 cm)? kH (fyi, i don't know my kh so then i'm afraid my co2 will mess up the pH)? lighting? do they grow tall or small or medium? do you plant them undergravel?

i just REALLY want plants (live) now.... just can't wait! because my LFS doesn't have plants... except for those bulbs

*EDIT* ok... walmart bulbs? my lfs only has some other kind of bulbs... forgot what they're called...

when do they sprout and when should you take them out?
Assuming they are fresh, they should start to sprout in about 7 days and will put up a white flower spike about a week or two after they sprout. If the flower is pollenated, you may get tiny seedlings that drop off and take root in the gravel. My apon bulbs recently sprouted seeds and I have several that have started to take root in the gravel.

Some types of these plants will go dormant after they flower. You can try to keep them in the tank until they sprout again, but this may not happen unless you have plenty of nutrients in the substrate for the bulb to take in. Another method is to remove the bulbs and place them in a container of damp sand, then in a cool, dark place for about 6 weeks. Then you would replant them in the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store