Drop checkers in use for CO2 monitoring around here?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Squawkbert

Senior padder
Oct 3, 2006
ST.L area
www.aquaticplantcentral.com
If not, they look like a good thing... I'm going to make one very soon.

Good thread (follow the out links) detailing principles, sources, DIY, how to make KH standard solutions etc. etc. etc. over at AA - also see looking for those CO2 measuring bulbs

I hope nobody here considers it poor form to mention them, but 1) they are another good source of information; 2)I searched all over here and found nothing on these devices; 3) and they have already returned the favor by calling out the article on fishless cycling found here.

My proposed design:
glass tube bent into a "M" shape, 4 or 5 KH solution & indicator into center section, 1 suction cups, stick it to side of tank.

If the materials are cheap enough, I may have to go into business selling these w/ dropper bottles of indicator premixed w/ 3, 4, 5 KH solutions...

Last edited:

Hutchewon

AC Members
Oct 27, 2006
Do you mean bubble counters? CO2 is a gas unless highly compressed. Kinda hard to measure as drops.

ausername

Algae Farmer since 1998
Nov 2, 2006
Trenton Ontario
Thats a pretty simple design.. so simple it may be genious. Glass tubing is pretty cheap. and you can bend it yourself with the proper amount of heat. Heck i may try that myself.

Squawkbert

Senior padder
Oct 3, 2006
ST.L area
Hutchewon said:
Do you mean bubble counters? CO2 is a gas unless highly compressed. Kinda hard to measure as drops.
Nope. A "drop checker" uses a pH indicator in a standardized solution so that CO2 concentration changes the pH, hence the color, of the solution. The air in the checker reaches equilibrium with the gasses dissolved in the tank's water. The CO2 then reaches equilibrium with the solution in the checker. If there's enough CO2 to drop the pH the right amount, the solution turns green. Too much CO2, it turns yellow, too little=blue.

Red Sea's version uses a gas permeable membrane so there is no need for the air gap between the tank water and the indicator solution - theoretically, this will result in a shorter lag time in getting a good reading. I may be able to do this in a series of small vials that would indicate CO2 over a fairly wide range(drum roll) simultaneously. I have to see if I have the right kind of membrane... the vials, caps, suction cups are all done.

Ulan

AC Members
Sep 22, 2006
Squawkbert said:
Red Sea's version uses a gas permeable membrane so there is no need for the air gap between the tank water and the indicator solution - theoretically, this will result in a shorter lag time in getting a good reading.
At least that drop checker that comes with the Red Sea regulator kits doesn't contain a membrane but uses also just an air gap. That's fast enough for me.

It's very convenient to see your CO2 content instead of having to test all sorts of things and looking it up in a table.

Squawkbert

Senior padder
Oct 3, 2006
ST.L area
kjf91004 said:
APC has been talking about these for a few months now. It seems that to get the best results, make up your indicator solution with a Kh of 4 degrees. That is where you get the most color change with changes in CO2 levels. You don't need or want the Kh to be the same as your tank.

Here's the link at apc. It includes examples of DIYs.

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/...-diy-drop-checker.html?highlight=drop+checker
Thanks for adding that link, I had misplaced it! - it is the location of most of the DIY ideas.

4dKH is a good default starting point, but for some situations, I could see people wanting their checker to go green at different pH/CO2 combinations (4dKH will go green only in certain combinations of pH/CO2 levels - ppl w/ pH that's off or who want more/less CO2 may want different dKH values so they can see green now and then as well). From the above referenced thread, see pg 14 of the thread for the pH/CO2 relationship...

Last edited:

kjf91004

AC Members
Jun 4, 2006
Eau Claire, WI
Yup, you're right. I just remember having to really think about the Kh of the solution. Common sense told me that it needed to be the same as the tank Kh. However, the more I thought about it, science told me otherwise!

I love APC. I don't hardly ever post there, but I lurk quite often.

Squawkbert

Senior padder
Oct 3, 2006
ST.L area
sano drop checker in action

There's a hole in the yellow cap, a gas-permeable membrane covering the opening of a 2mL sample vial. All held in place w/ a suction cup for mounting xmas lights (small ones) in windows.

It's cheap & doesn't leak.

test solution is 4dKH pure water, API pH test solution.

AquaPonixRox

Wet Behind the ears
Dec 18, 2008
La La Land
what are some examples of suitable gas permeable membrane materials seems like easier way to go for diy and if give result faster even better

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store