0 Nitrates?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Haydn24

Boo!
Jun 28, 2010
Australia
Real Name
Haydn
IF your using Prime...And you are overodsing accidently, this will deoxify the nitrate and nitrite which will give unusual readings.. Just a suggestion.

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
Also.. Keep up with your water changes. Nitrates are not the only reason for water changes, just the most commonly measured one. There are other things that contribute to the TDS level which needs to be kept low overall, not just Nitrate.

cichlidcichlid

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Do you think that every two weeks would work or should I go back to my weekly water changes? I do use prime even though I have never overdosed it.

There is a couple of fake plants, but other than that I do not have any other decorations. I have been meaning to try out some rock though.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I'm still going to say that you should get a test kit yourself...not just because of this, but because in an emergency situation you're not going to want to have to rely on getting to a store and have them test it...

Unless your tank somehow is outside the rules of basic chemistry, then I see no other way (barring the low, low, low chance you have denitrification) you could have 0 ppm NO3 in a fully stocked, established aquarium.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Denitrification in freshwater isn't as rare as some of you seem to believe. It happens all the time but the end result is usually hydrogen sulfide gas. This only occurs in completely anaerobic conditions with no O2 deep in the substrate. So as long as some O2 is present (at least 1ppm), hydrogen sulfide production will not become a problem. The pea sized gravel may allow in just enough O2 for nitrate reduction without the H2S.
I'm not saying for sure that this is what's happening with the OP's nitrates, but I wouldn't completely dismiss it as an improbability either. Buying a brand new, reliable test kit would definitely be a good starting point.
It may be possible that Prime aids in the reduction of Nitrates some how, as well. It does bind with nitrate rendering it non-toxic and may some how allow it to be more easily converted to nitrogen gas. This is just speculation, however.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
I am with Pappy on this one unless the tank is on another planet there will always be a trace of Nitrate no matter what and just because the LFS is awesome and they have great stuff doesn't mean they don't penny pinch..

Tell you what go back to weekly water changes (I would have never stopped the weekly WC) go buy a new liquid test kit and then check it out..

Basic aquarium husbandry will always produce Nitrate unless everything is new and was just setup a few hours ago.. Sorry but i would recheck it out..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store