10 beautiful but easy corals

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
should i be doseing iodine, strontium, and trace??
Before you start dosing and adding, decide what you want first. I would not dose what I cannot measure. You will probably only need to add/dose calcium.

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Lansing Michigan/Mesick Michigan
Real Name
Ben
i have 2 candy cane shrimp, 3 turbo snails, and one blue claw crab, i using Tropic marin salt brand.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
No reason to dose that tank. Before you add corals, just test the water for Ca, alk and Mg. They should be fine and if they are in range, just keep doing weekly water changes. The salt mix will replenish elements. If the initial tests show those parameters are low, do a series of 30-50% water changes over a few/couple days and test again. If that doesn't balance out the parameters then you can dose to bring things in line. You have nothing consuming those elements currently and unless you run a full blown SPS tank, I doubt you will ever need to dose.

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Lansing Michigan/Mesick Michigan
Real Name
Ben
awesome, but lastly what about iodine. inst this used to neutralize the spors sent off to kill other corals

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
awesome, but lastly what about iodine. inst this used to neutralize the spors sent off to kill other corals
??? Where did you hear that from?? Coral kill other corals by getting close and "burning" them by touch. I have heard that certain corals (leathers) send out some "poison" that kills other corals, but I have never notice this to happen. I have always had leathers in my reef. Grows nice and easy with other corals.

PS---I have NEVER dosed iodine.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
You may be confusing iodine with carbon which is thought to neutralize chemical warfare from softies and anemones.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store