10 gal Stocking Advice/?s

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Hanna1187

Registered Member
Dec 23, 2019
Hello! I am new to fish keeping and would like some opinions/advice on my possible plan for a 10 gallon tank.

After a lot of reading online I was thinking about building up the following community:

- 2 guppies
- 3 platies
- 3 ghost shrimp
- 1 netrite snail

My questions are:

-Is this an acceptible community for a 10 gal? I don’t want to over stock and have tried to consider like environment needs and dwelling levels for the tank.

-I don’t want more fish so is it okay to get both male or both female guppies? How about the Platies? Also, if it is okay to get either all male or all female, is it better to get males or females?

-Should all the platies be the same kind? For example all three Sunburst or can I get a combination such as 2 Sunburst and a Mickey Mouse?

-I don’t want to add all the fish at once so I am wondering if I should I start with platies or guppies first since this is a new tank? (I have already done a fishless cycle).

-Is it okay to add either the 2 guppies or 3 platies to start off at the same time or should I start with only one fish and then add another later and so on?

-Finally, I am wondering if it is okay to start with the snail and the 3 shrimp right off? Or do I need to slowly add them in one at a time too?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!

Hanna1187

Registered Member
Dec 23, 2019
I posted this in the wrong place! Sorry all. I don’t know how to remove it though.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Welcome!

Your list could be appropriate if all the livebearers were males. Female guppies and platys can often be pregnant when you buy them.

Tell us more about your setup, what you intend to use for substrate, decor, filtration and lighting? Do you have an API master test kit to measure water parameters?

I would read on on cycling. If you have the means to get a sock of gravel, a chunk of filtration media or the whole filter out of someone's established tank you can stock right away. If not you need to take action to establish a cycle in this tank. It doesn't happen on it's own.

For stocking, I'd prefer a group of celestial pearl danios and maybe a male or female betta as a center piece fish? Plenty of ideas out there.

Last edited:

Mr'I'Helps

AC Members
Dec 26, 2019
I wouldn't recommend that much fish, I think it over flows. I would say 6 fish in a 10g tank is the maximum.

Welcome!

Your list could be appropriate if all the livebearers were males. Female guppies and platys can often be pregnant when you buy them.

Tell us more about your setup, what you intend to use for substrate, decor, filtration and lighting? Do you have an API master test kit to measure water parameters?

I would read on on cycling. If you have the means to get a sock of gravel, a chunk of filtration media or the whole filter out of someone's established tank you can stock right away. If not you need to take action to establish a cycle in this tank. It doesn't happen on it's own.

For stocking, I'd prefer a group of celestial pearl danios and maybe a male or female betta as a center piece fish? Plenty of ideas out there.
I would recommend Pearl Danios as well.
( By the way ): -Question, do you want fry's in your tank?

If not then, I wouldn't recommend Guppies or Platys or the livebearers.
Since they are breeders.

I as well I want know more about your interior. Like decorations, planting, or lighting.

We all are looking forward to your response.

Thanks
- Mr'I'Helps

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I think an all male livebearer group would be ok but no other fish. Any color varieties are fine together. I do have concerns about a nerite snail. They are pretty fussy about what they will eat. I only tried 1 once & it was not a success. It died in a week or so after it ran out of the algae type it would eat.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store