10 gal to 20 gal safe "switcheroo" possible?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mgamer20o0

BobsTropicalPlants.com
Staff member
Jun 4, 2003
www.bobstropicalplants.com
I'm thinking maybe I should fill it with conditioned water and transferred plants, rocks ect and leave the old gravel and fish in the 10 til I get back. (running the new tank with the new filter and heater and leaving the filter with the fish for now in the 10?)
then your just killing off the bacteria thats on them. leave it or switch it. plants will help keep the water clean when your gone.

Oh and anyone know if snails lay eggs?
yes

speede1

AC Members
then your just killing off the bacteria thats on them. leave it or switch it. plants will help keep the water clean when your gone.
Crap you just lost me... I have snail eggs on everything apparently that would include the Java moss (which explains how I never SAW any snails on the moss when I bought it) so How will I switch over anything other than the filter with out getting snails in the new tank?
I appreciate the help and your patience, but now I'm kind a confused
:help:

Last edited:

Mgamer20o0

BobsTropicalPlants.com
Staff member
Jun 4, 2003
www.bobstropicalplants.com
the plants the gravel the filter all have bacteria on it. if your leaving you want to make sure as much of that bacteria gets over to the new tank so you dont have a mini cycle. if your worried about not getting snails in the new tank just wait. wait until you can do a fishless cycle. then just move the fish over. if you move the filter or use the new filter on the old tank you risk getting snails in the new tank.

speede1

AC Members
the plants the gravel the filter all have bacteria on it. if your leaving you want to make sure as much of that bacteria gets over to the new tank so you dont have a mini cycle. if your worried about not getting snails in the new tank just wait. wait until you can do a fishless cycle. then just move the fish over. if you move the filter or use the new filter on the old tank you risk getting snails in the new tank.
Ok sounds good...2 questions and then time for bed:

should I at least fill the new tank with conditoned water and just run it empty with the new gravel and the new filter alone in my absence?

Also since i did already siphon off 2-3 gal of water into the new tank...what is the likelyhood that I've alrready introduced snail eggs by doing so or are they not free flowing?

Last edited:

speede1

AC Members
snail eggs are on the gravel or plants not in the water. its fine if you want to let it run until you get back.

Well now that I know snails lay eggs on the gravel and plants, I won't transfer either over...hope they are none stuck in the filter that can somehow get loose.:eek:

theotheragentm

AC Members
Nov 28, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
An easy way to get the bacteria from the old substrate without using it permanently is to put it into a stocking or a bag with small holes in it. Put it in the new tank and pull it out after a couple weeks.

korin123456789

AC Members
Dec 7, 2007
Montreal, Qc
hi
well i did what your talking about a few weeks ago, but as others suggested you might want to wait till you get back to be able to monitor the water
But simple as pie you just have to tranfert everything from old tank to new one, that's if you don't want to run old tank anymore (gets more complicated if you want to keep both going)
and my tank & fishies are completely fine

speede1

AC Members
An easy way to get the bacteria from the old substrate without using it permanently is to put it into a stocking or a bag with small holes in it. Put it in the new tank and pull it out after a couple weeks.

Will this allow snail eggs to get in my new tank?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store