10 Gallon Stocking Ideas - Version 3 - HELP NEEDED!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
-Good Golly Miss Molly would be a good name for the Level 1 molly tank

-Shell Shock for the shell dweller tank

-The Scarlet Letter for the Dario dario tank (I love these little guys)

-The Shining for the hatchet fish tank

-Tetris for the tetra tank.
Man, you are the name MASTER!!!

rithunder916

AC Members
Jan 7, 2009
West Greenwich RI
Real Name
Michael
4 sword Tails (1 male)
2-4 coires

6-8 endlers
4-6 pigmy cats (sp?)
6-8 axelrod rasbora

That's all i can come up with for now... of the top of my head...

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
I would go with a figure 8 fresh water puffer with some plants / drift wood and lots of easily breed snails!
F8s require a SG of 1.005 & do no0t fare well in FW. They also require 15g.

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
F8s require a SG of 1.005 & do no0t fare well in FW. They also require 15g.
Thank you, Pufferpunk! I know puffers are brackish, which I mentioned in the list. I wasn't sure about their tank size requirements for these guys, so I will pull them. Glad to find someone who has some experience.

peterbiss

AC Members
Jan 5, 2010
Eugene, Oregon
Some of these tanks seem very full. 12 fish in a 10g seems aggressive. Would these setup require water changes more often than 1/wk?

Newby question, thanks!

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
Some of these tanks seem very full. 12 fish in a 10g seems aggressive. Would these setup require water changes more often than 1/wk?

Newby question, thanks!

The tanks that have 12 fish (that is, the endler male tank, and possibly the microdanio and microrasbora tank, maybe the smallest tetras in the tetra tank) have teeny, tiny, itsy bitsy fish. Males only grow to around an inch. Celestial Pearl danios max out at around 1/2 an inch. Zebra rasboras grow to around 3/4 of an inch. I just realized that Glowlights probably get a little big for this tank, at 1.5 inches, so I have removed them.
Anyway, the idea is that the fish are really small, and they are schoolers, so they are actually more comfortable in numbers, rather than feeling aggressive.
A once a week WC on the tank should still be fine, as long as it is well filtered, and assuming the tank was well cycled.
Some of the tanks may require more water changes, but that has a lot to do with the species. For example, Chocolate Gouramis are notoriously sensitive to water quality, so a small daily WC might be prudent.
Good questions, though!

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
Level 1: "Hot Coffee" for the tetra tank (embers & coffeebeans, eh? Would suggest "Starbuckles" as it would be great publicity when they sue you, but this is expensive PR.)

The mollies? "Unsinkable." (3 quatloos to the first person who identifies the reference here.

L. 2: "Mines of Moria" or "Khazad-Dum" for the rasboras. Cuz everything in there is dwarf. :)

And the crawdad tank? Howbout you change that to "Zydeco"? I find naming one's fishlife after food product to be...disconcerting.

Level 2 rasbora: Whichever name you didn't use for the Level 1 rasbora. It's still pretty heavy on the dwarves. :)

L2: the baddis pair? "Bad to the Bone"? And change the "Small World" name--a 10g is inherently small so no need to emphasize the fact to the customer unless you're trying to upsell. Besides, Disney is notoriously ferocious with lawsuits. How about "Book 'em Danio"? (2 quatloos for this ref, it's easy.)

I am out of names at this point but am thinking about how you could use this whole package concept for promotion. A customer comes in and says "I'm thinking about getting an aquarium, nothing too big, what would you recommend?"

You the LFS worker have your options wisely planned in advance, but describing them in words and waving of hands is inefficient. You need to find or make pictures of every tank named above.

People here who have the right combinations (or others) could volunteer their pics. And perhaps the store could set up a display tank with a nice but neutral substrate and plantings, and rotate the fish/inverts in and out on, say, a monthly basis. You could even put such materials on the store's website. What? You say they don't have a website? Quell horreur! You could help with this problem, no? :)

Or you could gather pics--really REALLY good pics--of each option and set them up on a Powerpoint or uTube video or even a paper flip-chart type thing. Kinda low-tech, but cheap. And it helps people visualize the reality of what they're dealing with.

While we're on that subject you could do some What Not to Do pics as well. Put a baby pleco in a 10g. It looks cute. Take pic. Replace baby plec with a <i>full grown</i> one. Take pic. (afterwards hastily putting big plec back in proper tank.) Point out to customer the difficulties this presents.

Same deal with 3 "cute little" goldfish in a 10g. Use white sand substrate and cover it with mulm to demonstrate the unfortunate side effects of goldfish ownership. Pic 2 again is goldfish a few years later. I'm sure other possibilities of Unfortunate Fish Choices will occur to you.

Fun project. Thanks for posting. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store