10 lighting ?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
You certainly can, but I'll recommend two of the 23 watt Sylvania, now smaller than ever, daylight compacts.
On a 10g they will grow plants nicely. Menard's carries them and I've seen them at Walmart.

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
i like the ge daylight ones, myself. 6 to 1 half dozen to the other.

pappy... by "splash guards" do you mean the clear rubber grommets or the (rofl) "reflectors"? i had to take the rubber out because the starters on the bulbs won't let the bulb seat in far enough to make the connection without it. i assume that's what you mean.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
i like the ge daylight ones, myself. 6 to 1 half dozen to the other.

pappy... by "splash guards" do you mean the clear rubber grommets or the (rofl) "reflectors"? i had to take the rubber out because the starters on the bulbs won't let the bulb seat in far enough to make the connection without it. i assume that's what you mean.
They are the plastic guards between where the bulbs are and the top of the water.

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
I'm concerned the bulbs are touching the reflectors is that safe to use like that?
depends on temperature, really. if the house gets pretty cool, it's a concern as the metal will act as a heat sink leaving a cold spot on the bulbs.
They are the plastic guards between where the bulbs are and the top of the water.
ahah! it's been so long, i forgot about those. i removed them too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store