100 gal club, filtration?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Scribble68

AC Members
May 31, 2006
NJ
The amount of space for corals is totally irrelevant. Live rock houses denitrafying bacteria and you need a certain amount to filter your tank. Corals don't do anything for water quality therefore less rock to make room for coral makes no sense. You need a certain amount of media to house bacteria and when the media you use is LR you need at least 1lb per gallon and i would recommend even more. 1.5-2lbs per gallon is ideal, idk who said it isn't but they are in the minority i assure you.
Bio balls and other bio media are only capable of breaking down nitrate and ammonia. When nitrate is created there is no denitification area. Remember that when you start to remove the bio balls remove them slowly, not all at once or else there wouldn't be much bacteria supporting the tank.
Can u explain this? it doesn't make much sense to me.
Do u mean Nitrite and ammonia, because bioballs become nitrate factories because they don't break down the trates.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store