100g Geophagus sp. "Tapajo" species tank.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
For you and your time frame with college in all i would stick to once a day feedings man.. 45% Water change once every two weeks that should help with time..

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
I dont have a set schedule, but I shoot to get around 30%-40% per weeks at least. I was feeding them like 4 servings throughout the day. Dropped it down to one. Those water changes look to have been in vain though. Before I went to bed last night I found 2 more dead. Just woke up and found 1 more dead, and one laying on its side, its swimming sideways with no control and keeps going headfirst into the sand..... I have a calculus exam today so they will have to wait until I return. 5 fish left. Added some salt and put in a bubble want as well as a powerhead spewing bubbles everywhere until I can do more.

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
So far the remaining 5 are doing good. Haven't turned the powerhead off or fed them yet. Will continue to leave the powerhead on until I dismantle the tank and put it in storage. I plan on doing that this weekend. From there they will be moved to a 10g for a few weeks until I get everything moved. With just the 5 of them things should be alright in the 10 gallon, I will be feeding them verrrrry sparsely, and water changes wont be difficult in a tank of that volume.

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
Good to hear! I agree the 10 should be good. Will make things easier all around...

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Sometimes smaller is better. Doing WC's on a bigger tank is time consuming and sometimes a real hassle but in a small tank it's quick and simple. An anubias or two would help with nitrates and since they require very little light wont need to worry about extra lighting or equipment like CO2 since it's not needed for them.

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
Upon moving them to the 10g I lost all but one over the course of a few days. It seemed like every time I checked on them a new one would be swimming funny. I checked the parameters on the tank and just kinda watched them waste away while i was helpless to do anything about it, took the last one to the LFS and donated it. I was pissed, contemplated selling my tanks and getting out of the hobby. Ive since moved back in with my parents in Ohio and once the movers get my stuff here Im going to set my 100g back up. Not sure what Im going to keep in it this time. Id like to give Geo's another shot but Im not sure if I want to after the terrible experience I had with them last time. Seriously doubting in my ability to keep anything for that matter.

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
Awww... Austin, I know the feeling. Most of us do! I am on my third round of red headed tapajos! Your thread made me want to try them again! You will find the thing that sparks your interest again!
It does stink.... Believe me I know....feel for you....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store