100g stocking ideas?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SmokedNeptune

AC Members
Nov 21, 2015
I'm pretty new to aquariums and I'm getting a 100 gallon or bigger soon I'm looking for some stocking ideas with lots of color and activity I want either a planted community or an African cichlid tank so suggestions on both Thanks

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Getting a 100gal is nice, it will be more forgiving, but if you are new to aquariums, neither a Planted Cimmunity, nor an African Cichlid is easy..

You will have to decide on which way you want to go, and then we can guide you. Becuase you are new, I would recommend you get easy plants, with some easy fishes.

SmokedNeptune

AC Members
Nov 21, 2015
I currently have a 30 gallon planted community so I do know a bit about plants I figured African Cichlids would be nice and different from my current tanks but I'm more worried about them since I don't know as much about them

NeverFadeAway86

AC Members
Jun 15, 2011
Columbus, OH
Real Name
Brian C
I would say if you are interested in Cichlids, doing a bit of research on them. I myself am getting my 75 gallon set up for an Mbuna tank which are rock dwelling African Cichlids.

I would say research will be your best friend when figuring out what type of tank to do, Cichlids are usually aggressive fish and even the ones that are less aggressive are still aggressive. You would have to make sure there are alot of hiding spots so fish can escape the aggression at times, and also set up territories. Also you may need to overstock these type of fish to help spread out the aggression, which means larger weekly water changes

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
What about a bigger cichlid for a planted?
That is also a possibility. There are lots of plant safe larger cichlids, and actually Peacock, Haps, and Victorian Cichlids do not eat plants, nor dig them up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store