10g Aquarium won't cycle been 3+ months!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
As long as your pH remains at 6 the tank will never cycle. The bacteria that oxidize ammonia require a higher pH.

krpott

AC Members
Dec 10, 2009
I use API Master test kit. I know the beneficial bacteria lives in the gravel, and other surfaces along with the filter. Doesn't the majority of the waste that creates ammonia live in the gravel as well? Should I do water changes while gravel vacuuming? Looks like i need to do water changes until the ammonia drops then start raising the ph/adding more beneficial bacteria.

thorpbrian

AC Members
Oct 7, 2009
La Center, WA
What is the ph of your tap water? Is there anything in the tank that could lower the ph?

6 is awfully low for most species. Especially any that will live happily in a 10 gal tank.

If it were me I'd get your ph issue figured out. After the ph was closer to 7 I'd get my hands on some Tetra Safe Start to cycle the tank with.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
personally i would get a bigger tank and let the fish grow into that.

Flamfish

AC Members
Jun 27, 2009
Mt Carmel Pa
www.myspace.com
I had a problem with harsh ammonia right along the same lines when cycling my first tank not too long ago. my main problem was that most fish food directions say to feed 3 times a day which is completely ridiculous. once a day feedings.

krpott

AC Members
Dec 10, 2009
on the ph issue: I couldn't find a KH testing kit at my LFS. I have ph reulator stuff to make it 7.0, but I heard that if i use it before the ammonia comes down it could make the water toxic. I haven't tested my tap water's ph. I'll get on that. I'm not sure what in a tank could lower the ph? I would buy a bigger aquarium but I really just wanna cycle this one before I lose my mind. : /

I've done 3 water changes (10-25%) every day for the past 3 days and the ammonia levels haven't changed from 8ppm. So, as a supplement to my ammonia removing adventure I bought some activated carbon/zeolite which is supposed to help.

I only feed them a little bit once a day so I don't think that's the problem.

Thank you thorpbrian for the Tetra Safe Start recommendation.

krpott

AC Members
Dec 10, 2009
I would also stop cleaning the filter until your tank is cycled. That's where all the beneficial bacteria is. With an ammonia of 8 I would think your fish would be dead. What kind of test are you using? Are you sure it's good?
I haven't cleaned the filter, I just check for obstructions over the holes and such.

krpott

AC Members
Dec 10, 2009
ok, so this is weird....

my tap water has a ph of 7.6.
my 2.5 gallon tank has a ph of a perfect 7.0.
and then there's my 10gallon at 6.0.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store