10G Vivarium HERE I COME!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

justintoxicated

AC Members
Dec 19, 2005
Go with firebelly toads, I keep them with my newts.

Only problem you may have is feeding both of them, since I feed my Newts live blackworms, as well as teh toads, what I do is put a bunch o them on a rock in my water area, and some on the land area. The newts will hunt them out of the gravel once they fall under water, or they will crawel on the rocks to eat them. The toads are more picky and will only eat them off the land area, I have never sceen them hunt ofr worms under the water.

I would do 1 newt 1 toad and call it done, I had 2 newts and 2 toads for some time but it was over crowded IMO.

I now have 2 firebelly toads, 2 newts, and 2 huge California Toads, and an ADF in a 20 long and it is crowded again, CA toads get huge, but seem very peaceful, they let my Fb toads and newts crawel on them or share cae space with them.

BTW I kept my newts in standing water with no filer for about 10 years...I did not know any better, and would rarely do water changes as well. I then got a whisper 10i filter and they are much happier now, unfortunately my filter did not last long.... I now have a zoomeds cansiter for my vivarium, it has slow current but alot more space for media and does not take up valuable tank room. It is a much better filter for ampibians IMO, although I would think something like a fluval 104 might be better if you could slow down the output.

Last edited:

DaisyTattoo

AC Members
Jan 11, 2006
Illinois
I fed my toads live crickets. The only problem with that is they cant swim and they are so stupid that the first place they go is into the water(at least in my tank). So I ended up cleaning the water of dead crickets after every meal.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store