110 Gallon reef tank PICS!!/DIARY!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mooch28

AC Members
Dec 24, 2004
Toronto (Brampton)
Well, looks like ill have to change the pipes for the long run. So far though, ive got 0 traces of copper in the tank. Picked up a test kit today, and have nothing as of yet despite doing a number of top offs and filling the tank from the unit.

Time will tell though. Will have to change pippes ASAP!!

Mooch28

AC Members
Dec 24, 2004
Toronto (Brampton)
Ok, new update.

Bought a pair of 3 month old used MH pendants today. This is what i purchased off of a very nice guy that let them go at a very good price.....

http://www.aquariausa.com/Scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=241

He gave me two of those pendnats, 2 icecap ballast, and 2 14000K Hamilton DE bulbs.

Everything is in mint condition, as it is only 3 months old. As for price, $650 (canadian) for everything listed above. He payed well over $1000.

Cant wait to get those Halides up!! :thm:

Edit: Oh and thanks Fred. I sure do too!!

Last edited:

wastememphis

AC Members
Sep 6, 2003
Buffalo, New York
www.peccaviparty.com
I dont think there is anything to remove all copper from a system, it'll be in the sand, rocks, calking, etc... good thing you caught it fast.

scherebh

AC Members
Dec 22, 2005
I've never heard of running tap water for anything salt, freshwater, etc.

I have copper pipes in my house and they run to my RO/DI maker. The home is 35 years old. The reef tank - my first, 125 gal. has been up for 2 months. I have shrimp, snails, 7 corals, and fish. All are thriving. I can't agree more about being p*ssed if my tank were to be killed off in 4 hours (that alone would be enough to make me quit) but that has not been my experience. If you have the rocks, etc. set up you could put a couple cleaner shrimp in there or some snails and if they make it you might be OK - if not, you're hosed! My setup is working fine with copper pipes.

Oh yeah, I had the same thing on my brown algae. 40 or so snails made short work of them.

wastememphis

AC Members
Sep 6, 2003
Buffalo, New York
www.peccaviparty.com
scherebh: you're pipes run from your RO/DI unit, which filters heavy meatls out of the water, mooch has his comming off the rodi into the tank.

I used tap water for my first saltwater tank and my house has copper piping, so i mean its not like copper disolves while the water runs through the pipes and it'll automatically be in your tank... but its an easy thing to not have in your system if you're using coper pipes.

Mooch28

AC Members
Dec 24, 2004
Toronto (Brampton)
Thanks for the concerns guys.

Well, here is the first addition to my tank, and hes doing quite well. It's a sand sifting Goby, but im not sure what type. Does anyone know?? I have provided a picture......

Also a picture of my nasty looking tank at the moment. Quite a bit of brown algae. Getting thicker it seems, and still spreading. Although water still perfect, with 0's all across the board.

mini-IMG_1354.JPG mini-mini-IMG_1361.JPG

mysis

AC Members
Oct 4, 2005
Be careful with the Sand sifters, i myself have one, and you may find that over a period of a month or so they can get quite skinny, i had to up my feeding from once a day to 2-3 times a day. i have a yellow headed sleeper goby. i am unsure of the type of yours, but most of the fish can suffer from this problem, i find that mine really likes blood worms and is getting fatter.

Mooch28

AC Members
Dec 24, 2004
Toronto (Brampton)
mysis said:
Be careful with the Sand sifters, i myself have one, and you may find that over a period of a month or so they can get quite skinny, i had to up my feeding from once a day to 2-3 times a day. i have a yellow headed sleeper goby. i am unsure of the type of yours, but most of the fish can suffer from this problem, i find that mine really likes blood worms and is getting fatter.
They also like frozen shrimp right??

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store