110 Planted Update

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gt1009

AC Members
Jan 8, 2009
Here's my 110 after about a month and a half with the plants in it. I'm still working on getting over my blue-green algae problem, but I think I'm getting it under control. I'm still looking for some bristlenose plecos to help take care of the problem. If anyone knows another species that would help I would be interested. 1st pic is from now, second is from when I just set it up. I added a small piece of driftwood yesterday. I'll get another pic up soon.

Fish stock is around 40 cardinal tetras, 10 scissortail rasboras, 10 guppies, and 5 green corydoras catfish.

Equipment is:
Filtration: Emperor 400, 20 something gallon sump, Penguin 100 gph HOB. 9w UV sterilizer

Lighting: 2 175w Halides, 4 64w Power compacts

Heat: 2x 200w Heaters, 1x 100w Heater, all in sump.

Other: 2x small CO2 setups, the store-bought kind that is just like a DIY system with the ladder diffusers, forgot the name. API root tabs for fertalizing. I will start dosing excel soon as I get some money for the fish fund.

110 first pic.JPG 110 1.5 months later.JPG

rockhoe14er

AC Members
Jul 19, 2010
Richmond VA
Real Name
Sean
yeah i also have a problem with a bit of bga. It's pretty nasty stuff but as soon as i increased my circulation that seemed to help a lot.

a 110 gallon planted tank is huge for diy co2. I would really suggest going pressurized.

another thing that could help a lot with the algae would be to reduce your lighting because a lot of these algea's need a lot longer photo period than plants do. Plants can do fine on just 6 hours of light a day.

if you have your tank balanced well enough you don't even need algae eaters. But one of the best algae eaters out there is A true Siamese algae eater. Those fish can do some quick work on algae.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i would suggest going with Flourish instead of Excel. Excel is known to melt vals.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I do not think anything eats BGA. Also with a 110, you will need lots of DIY CO2.

gt1009

AC Members
Jan 8, 2009
I'm only using the DIY CO2 right now because I got it at a deal. Maybe at some point I will switch to pressurized, but from what I've been reading lately I think that CO2 is not entirely necessary.

rockhoe14er

AC Members
Jul 19, 2010
Richmond VA
Real Name
Sean
I'm only using the DIY CO2 right now because I got it at a deal. Maybe at some point I will switch to pressurized, but from what I've been reading lately I think that CO2 is not entirely necessary.
i believe a lot of people might disagree with you about that one. Many people argue about how it is the most important ingredient in a planted tank. Tom Barr is one of those people.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'd do big water changes & get more flow going. How long are your lights on? What's your nitrate level?

I also like more hardscape, just a thought...a focal point is nice.

chonhzilla

AC Members
Dec 27, 2008
I got rid of mine a long time ago, all I did was a bit of manual removal, cut down my photo period then turned the lights off for the weekend starting on Friday. When I came back on sunday night most of the remaining algae had turned brown and floated off.

gt1009

AC Members
Jan 8, 2009
Yes, I do see the importance of CO2, but in my tank I doubt it is the limiting factor. Right now mine is nutrients. My nitrates are never higher than 5, which I doubt can be good. Honestly, I don't believe Tom Barr after his blatant criticism of my thoughts on Jungle Vals outcompeting closely placed plants.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store