112gal. Art classroom tank: Updates: Electric Blue cichlids?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

OscarMan82

AC Members
Jul 3, 2007
Bellevue Oh
i just wanted to say that is one awsome lookin tank. so i have no input to your question.

DeRo316

Keeper of Cichlids
Nov 23, 2005
Tallahassee, FL.
Great looking tank!

At 112 gallons you could add a lot of africans into that tank, I would have 35-40 minimum to reduce the aggression you'll probably run into. With you wanting to stay in the same color range you'll have a few problems because fish seem to be more aggressive towards others with similar colors/patterns.

Some other blue/yellow fish:
Yellow Lab (Labidochromis caeruleus) - looks like you have a few already
Pearlmutt Lab - can be aggressive but have good coloring
Cobalt Zebra (Metriaclima callainos) - nice blue color
Sunshine Peacock (Aulonocara baenschi) - great yellow/blue colors
most of the Aulonocara stuartgranti have nice blue colors as well.
Demasoni's have great color for what you're looking for but can be aggressive.

Just make sure you have a good filtration system and do frequent water changes if you plan to add a bunch of cichlids.

spiffish

AC Members
Sep 14, 2004
Great looking tank!

At 112 gallons you could add a lot of africans into that tank, I would have 35-40 minimum to reduce the aggression you'll probably run into. With you wanting to stay in the same color range you'll have a few problems because fish seem to be more aggressive towards others with similar colors/patterns.

Some other blue/yellow fish:
Yellow Lab (Labidochromis caeruleus) - looks like you have a few already
Pearlmutt Lab - can be aggressive but have good coloring
Cobalt Zebra (Metriaclima callainos) - nice blue color
Sunshine Peacock (Aulonocara baenschi) - great yellow/blue colors
most of the Aulonocara stuartgranti have nice blue colors as well.
Demasoni's have great color for what you're looking for but can be aggressive.

Just make sure you have a good filtration system and do frequent water changes if you plan to add a bunch of cichlids.
Hey there! Thanks for the input. For filtration, I have two AC 110 (500's) HOB's. Water changes are easy because I have a sink 15ft away for draining/filling.
Do you really think 30-35 of these will fit in here? I thought they'd get to 5" or so, and 110/5 is 22... so, that is 22 of these guys.

The other cool thing, is that because this is for my classroom, my LFS is hooking me up with good pricing, and will order in just about anything I need.

I'd like to get it "stocked up" real soon though, while the fish are still small. Way I figure, fish are cheaper when they're small... and adding small fish in a big fish tank would be risky.

DeRo316

Keeper of Cichlids
Nov 23, 2005
Tallahassee, FL.
Sure, you could get 30-35 in there easily. I've had 15 in my 55 gallon with no problems, I prefer a busy tank. If I had your tank I'd go for 35-40 which will make it busy will little aggression.

Mozl0v

AC Members
Apr 2, 2007
So, my tank has cycled for about a month. Just this past weekend I finished up the decor and stocking. I placed plastic egg-crate under the sand, and went and found lots of large natural stone.

Ever make a mistake stocking? In my stocking indecision, I ended up making the wrong decision: I bought neon tetras and black mollies. As it turns out, when viewing the tank in my classroom, the fish could barely be seen!
So, I Called up my LFS, and they were willing to take my tetras and mollies in trade for some lake Malawi cichlids.

So, now I have 8 1-2" cichlids. I am sticking with the general color scheme of blue and yellow, favoring the electric blue coloration.

First: Anyone have any pics of what my current fish might look like matured?

Second: Anyone have any recommendations of specific species that would make good tankmates that are electric blue or deep blue in color? Also, any good bottom feeders?
I've heard that the E.b. jack dempsy is nice, would this be an option?

Lastly, the pics!
:
Thats a zebra Kenya

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store