120 gallon tank equipment questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Statman

AC Members
Nov 3, 2004
after being told by numerous people that a 20g sump just wouldnt cut it, ive decided to go stand shopping. i now plan on using a 55g sump. can you recommend some skimmers for this size, an does this change the return pump that yur previously suggested to me? 800ghp. thanks in advance

strangerdejavu

AC Members
Sep 22, 2007
Grand Forks, ND
Oh good. I'm glad you've decided to up the sump. I've got a 20 on my 75g, and I REALLY wish it was bigger!

I'm afraid I can't comment on the skimmer - I'm running a CSS (and am actually relatively pleased with it). As for lighting, though - for what you're planning to spend on that hood, you can buy 2 brand new 250w MH pendants, ballasts, and bulbs. You might want 3 of those pendants for a tank that size, but you very well might be able to find all of them previously owned on various forums for a great price. Just another idea for lighting that would easily allow for stoney corals, clams, and nems.

Statman

AC Members
Nov 3, 2004
if i had the know-how to put all that together it would be wonderful, im gonna have to stick with a store bought one thought i think

Statman

AC Members
Nov 3, 2004
oh i plan on it ;d once i actually get a new stand and the tank for the sump, expect many more questions

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
As far as skimmers go I've read a lot of wonderful things about the Octopus skimmers. They are supposedly some of the best bang for the buck. If you look at any ASM (I have one and really pleased with it) realize that they are no longer producing equipment and you may have issues finding replacement parts.

The larger sump is a GREAT idea. But one of the things you can do if you are handy with wood or know someone that is handy with wood, is cut out panel on one of the sides and then use a type of molding to seal the seam back up.. I would even go so far as to put hinges on it and then mimic the molding on the other side for continuity.

dolfans1

I'm a victim of coicumstance!
Jun 15, 2005
Safety Harbor, FL
I have a Euroreef skimmer for my 120 g. It sits in my 20 g sump and does a great job. The only problem is that w/ this size sump there isn't a lot of room for anything else. I'm looking to build an external 20 g refugium.

If you haven't thought about it yet, consider adding an auto topoff system. It will save a lot of time and effort down the line. That size tank and sump has a lot of surface area for water to evaporate.

Statman

AC Members
Nov 3, 2004
As far as skimmers go I've read a lot of wonderful things about the Octopus skimmers. They are supposedly some of the best bang for the buck. If you look at any ASM (I have one and really pleased with it) realize that they are no longer producing equipment and you may have issues finding replacement parts.
is this a good one? and is the price right? http://cgi.ebay.com/Octopus-Xtreme-Reef-Protein-Skimmer-INT-PS-120-NEW_W0QQitemZ160197858733QQihZ006QQcategoryZ46313QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited:

rsw686

AC Members
Feb 27, 2007
Virginia
I have an Octopus skimmer on my 90 gal and it works great. They use OceanRunner pumps, which are excellent quality. For a 120gal you should go with the NW200 model.

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
You know I haven't heard of that model before so I went to the www.octopusskimmer.com website and I didn't see that model listed.. I haven't heard anything about it but I agree with rsw in that the NW200 should be a good one for your system. That one I have read a about that model and have heard very good reports.

Also realize that these skimmers can be "tweeked" to optimize their performance.

But I would also suggest that you probably not just take mine or rsw's word for it and do some reading on the net.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store