125 peaceful cichlid stockin questions.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CichlidFan04

AC Members
Dec 11, 2007
ok, right now i have a 125 standard tank. i am looking to get some more fish but id like to have everyones input on what would look good, and be compatible.

here is my stocking list so far.

i've grown both of these two fish from fry, they are a little over a year and a half old.
full grown female severum
full grown female jack dempsey. Note that both of these fish are VERY docile, i was so suprised on how peaceful these two are. i must of gotten really low temepered specimens. they will tolerate anything i put in the tank without even bothering it.

2 keyholes, which i believe to be a pair not 100% for sure though.
3 bolivian rams. i plan on getting maybe 2 more?

so with that could anyone advise me to some more peaceful cichlids that stay between 2-6 inches?

thanks.

Bounette

AC Members
Apr 11, 2005
Well... Maybe some species of geophagus (but ask your local fish store, because some species grow larger than 6 inches), kribensis, firemouth...

Having 4 or 5 bolivians couldn't hurt if your tank is 125 gallons. It might increase their chances to pair up, but from what I know Jack Dempseys usually are pretty aggressive fishes. How are they behaving since you put the rams in? Which fishes would you say are dominant in your tank?

CichlidFan04

AC Members
Dec 11, 2007
honestly i dont have a dominant fish. they all share the territory. they really dont run each other out at all. actually it seems like my keys and my rams rule the tank lol.

youre right when it comes to jacks being agressive. But it depends on the sex of the fish. the males tend to be really agressive ive seen some as bad as jags, but the females are very docile and calm as long as there arent any males present.

zachjohnson65

AC Members
Mar 31, 2007
Staunton, VA
Well you could use Rainbow Cichlids. They stay 3-6", Mine are really peaceful.

RedScare

AC Members
Jul 1, 2007
Wisconsin
I sternly believe there are no peaceful Cichlids. On the other hand Uaru seem quite peaceful. Keep in mind I have never kept Uaru.

Bounette

AC Members
Apr 11, 2005
If you saw the rams when they have spawned, how fiercely they defend their territory and their fry, it's pretty impressive. To see such small fish become so aggressive. But at least, they don't hurt the other fish, they just give them a good scare!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store