125litre 4 Dwarf gouramis

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Aug 30, 2018
I've recently set up a new 125ltr fluval roma. I've got a large piece of driftwood in the middle, angled so theres hiding spaces, 2 rocks, some mossballs and a plastic Plant to break up sight lines.

I filled the Tank And treated the water i've got a filter and a heater and the water has been tested and it has great conditions for dwarf gourami. I brought 4 3 days ago and introduced them to the tank.

At first they were quite shy but now 3 of them are lively bright colours and happy swimming about in the middle and coming up to the top for air

I'm worried about one of them who seems to always hide under the driftwood and doesnt really come out he doesnt seem happy?? Any ideas?

Should i worry, or is it still early enough for it to be him settling in?

They all came from the same aquarium tank. I know that they can be terrotirial and as they age slightly aggressive to each other but overall peaceful. But i thought in a 125ltr/33 gallon they would be ok?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Welcome and it sounds like a nice setup you've got.

IMO, it's always going to be a risk with gourami, weather multiples are going to get along.

To me, my larger concern at this point would be with establishing a nitrogen cycle in this tank, keeping up on regular water changes and having a good dechlor/detoxifier product and water parameter test kit.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I haven't seen female dwarf gouramis more than a few times in probably the last 10 years. They are mostly a blah silver color with faint stripes & shorter dorsal & anal fins.

Males often (usually) fight; the weakest 1 will be the first victim. Whether from actual aggression or being outcompeted for food, it's not a good outcome most times.

I agree with Joel (FF), is your tank actually fully cycled? Low levels of either ammonia or nitrite, along with aggression, can be quite harmful. Can you post your water parameters please.

Can you post a pic of your tank? Maybe we can help with that too.

Aug 30, 2018
Hi, Thank you for the quick responses!

There all male dwaf gouramis. They are the first introduction to the tank. So its currently going through the cycling process.

I'll post a pic with paramaters later today!

I've heard such mixed things about dwarf gouramis, some say dont keep them together others say its fine. I just dont want to cause them stress

Aug 30, 2018
It might be worth mentioning that the usually shy one came out this morning before i left and was hanging aroun the middle area...could these just be settling issues??? I am devating maybe taking him back and trading him for some cardinal tetra??

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Just curious what your plan is when you say your tank is going through the cycling process. It can't do this on it's own without a fair amount of work on your part.

I wouldn't add different or additional fish until the above is addressed.

Aug 30, 2018
Just curious what your plan is when you say your tank is going through the cycling process. It can't do this on it's own without a fair amount of work on your part.

I wouldn't add different or additional fish until the above is addressed.
No No i wouldnt add thw tetras until cycling is finished. I've been told around 6-8 weeks. I'm carrying out about 15% water changes every 4 days

Aug 30, 2018
Water temprature is 24 degrees c
p.h is 7.1
i have a fluval underwater heater
i used ATM colony to set the tank up

I'm feeding them small amounts of flake food 1-2 times a day

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store