14 Gallon: Journal with Photos

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
Dark substrate would be the way to go.

I change my assessment that the pic you posted was high maintenance, although I'm sure it's maintained pretty frequently to keep it so pretty :) Not nearly as difficult as I made it sound to be...

Anyway - yup, commonly available crypt wendtii would be nice background plants (dark distant hills/trees) with the wisteria up front but kept trimmed or to the side, and perhaps some c. willisii or something similiar with shorter growth & thinner leaves for the front.

FallenAngel

AC Members
Sep 11, 2010
New Zealand
Real Name
Matt
Good ideas! I'll go crypt hunting and I have a bit of wisteria so I'll grab some Flourish (Probably comprehensive or trace?) to help speed up the growth.

I also want some Hydrocotyle Verticillata, which is on the bottom mid-left on the photo of that epic tank I provided.

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
H. verticillata may be too large/tall for your tank & scape scale... you might have better luck using h. sibthorpioides and training it to carpet. Then again, you got a bunch of kiwi weeds to choose from! :p:

For a doable carpet plant, see if you can find marsilea spp. specifically marsilea minuta. It is not a demanding plant, and it will grow into a full carpet given time.

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
Good ideas! I'll go crypt hunting and I have a bit of wisteria so I'll grab some Flourish (Probably comprehensive or trace?) to help speed up the growth.
Get comprehensive... trace is really unnecessary if you're dosing comprehensive. I believe all the ingredients in trace are also in comprehensive (geez how many times do I have to type out that word?) but don't quote me on that.

FallenAngel

AC Members
Sep 11, 2010
New Zealand
Real Name
Matt
Ok - comprehensive it is. I'll have a look around in rivers and streams to see if there's any cool looking plants, and you can help me identify them if you like :D

I better get going though, now, it's getting late...

G'nite & thanks for helping!

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
Just don't put them into your tanks until you've ID'd and cleaned/dipped them!

Yeah, 23 hours behind you is still wayy to late to be awake.

FallenAngel

AC Members
Sep 11, 2010
New Zealand
Real Name
Matt
Haha yeah, so it's like 1:36pm for you? Nice :D

I'll get a bucket to put the plants in, don't want to risk anything bad.. Did you know that glossostigma elatenoides (tiny carpeting plant) originates from NZ? I should try to find that!!

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
Glosso hates me. I had tons of light (albeit with diy shoddy co2) and it grew grassy/stemmy.

Anyway, it's 1:38 AM here. :p: Thought you said it just ticked over to Sunday for you.

FallenAngel

AC Members
Sep 11, 2010
New Zealand
Real Name
Matt
Sorry, it was night and my brain was sort of frying..... I meant 1.38AM... Honestly :D
Yeah, when I posted that it was Sunday.

Maybe it's like duckweed or riccia..... Won't grow well in some tanks but goes nuts in others?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store