150 Gallon Build Thread ... From the Start

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bnoble

Advanced User
Jan 31, 2008
USA,VA
I think 2 2217 will be borderline. I know they are rated each for 150 or so gallons but i got a 2215 (rated for 93gallons) on a 55g tank and no way is that enough.
Try looking at some of the 2026-28 models or the 2250 :p (or even fluval fx5)
I AGREE!!!

Teeds404

AC Members
Sep 27, 2006
Hey there CFSINC. Just looking over the thread and am in agreement with previous suggestions regarding the filters. 2 2217's would be borderline for that size planted aquarium, especially in the initial startup, considering that most of the plants from TWS are grown terrestrially and will have to go through a adaptation period in which you will be getting a lot of dead matter. FX5 would be a great choice; also some of the larger Eheim's like the Eheim Pro 3 or the 2260. Depending where you put the output of the filter you might have to deflect it somehow though. I know in my 100 with 2 2217's I had to deflect the spray bar’s off the back. Otherwise there was a torrent of water and my plants had trouble holding on with the initial startup.

Teeds404

AC Members
Sep 27, 2006
Rena's are always a good cost effective choice, I don't know though, they are easy to opperate but for some reason I just never had good luck with them, even though I know most people love em. I must just have bad luck.

WaywardSon

Carry on ...
Jul 16, 2008
Finally closed in on the receipts; all prices US:

125 gallon long tank: ~ $335
Mission Series cherry finish stand: ~ $350.00
Mission Series cherry finish canopy: ~ $420.00
Fluval FX5: ~$275.00 (DrFosterSmith listed at $299.99)
Okay, where were we?? Sorry, have been away from the computer for a couple of days. Looks like there has been some great feedback and ideas.

First off, your price was crazy low Vader - could never pass a deal like that (lol). I am looking at nearly $2,000 from the LFS for the 150 with same stand and canopy. Wow! Way over the top I think.

I would certainly consider building my own stand and canopy but still need to get the price of the tank down. Not too sure about buying a "used" tank - just don't want to go the resealing / what if it leaks route.

Question
: LFS best place for the tank? No way to really order online is there?

WaywardSon

Carry on ...
Jul 16, 2008
tank size and plants is a tough issue.

on the one hand, the 150 size is much nicer looking (and larger) than the stanard 125 size, but its also 6 inches taller which can be an issue for plants.

with a 125 size its easier to grow plants (without spending a fortune on lighting) but you dont have the height to grow big plants like Amazons.

with a shallower tank you could use T-5 lighting and grow pretty much anything.

with the taller 150 you may need to step up to power compacts.

CO2 is definitely a must with high intensity lighting.
Brings back the question - tall or not? Boy, the tall is a sweet looking tank! The reaching in is not the biggest concern (6'5" and a step stool - lol) - the ground cover plants growing is my real concern. Just not sure if I can get the glosso to root (boy it looks good in my 45 now), or another ground cover plant would work / look better!!

WaywardSon

Carry on ...
Jul 16, 2008
Build a stand yourself?
You can def cut alot of costs if you build a stand and canopy yourself with just a lil elbow grease. I can help you with designs for one if you want.
Very nice looking stand and I appreciate the offer. I don't have a table saw or miter saw - but the neighbor across the street does (perfect). I may just be taking you up on the stand help!

LIGHTING: Lighting, you can get a 72 inch fixture, the Nova Extreme Pro Saltwater. Now it may be a saltwater fixture because ity comes with the actinics, but you can switch those bulbs out and make it a fw fixture and have 3wpg. Its a $729 fixture, but its 72 inch, perfect fit, t5ho, 3wpg and your tank is 150ish gallons, so it kinda fits the bill.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+13822+18700&pcatid=18700
Thanks for the info on the lights - still up in the air there. Have to make the normal / tall tank decision I guess. It would help if the LFS would have had the normal in stock as well as the tall. A side-by-side comparison would be good.

FILTERS: I would build a wetdry for this setup. You have a large tank and a wet/dry would probably be beneficial in your situation. Im not the person to talk to about for wet/dry as i have never done it but i have done alot of reading it on it. Canisters will work well for you too. Eheim makes a rock solid product has i have heard it quoted in the past as being a workhorse, the classis series to be specfic. The eheim 2028 looks like it would work for you but the only advanacements i see between that and the 2217 is the selfpriming and the extra half gallon or so capacity. The 2217 is the classic, you need to prime it but you have 1.5 gallon media capacity and higher flowrate. You could get 2 2217 for the price of one 2028. I would do the 2217 just for the customizability and larger media capacity. The flowrate on canisters is always slower, but supposed to have higher filtration. I would still go wet/dry though if it were up to me.
The wet/dry route may be a bit much for my skill level (lol). A couple of Eheim 2250's will likely be the direction I go.

Thanks for all the input - it helps a great deal!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store