180 gallon tank stand build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Digital

IC3D
Nov 18, 2007
Fairfield County, CT
www.ic3d.net
Real Name
Marc Digital
Great build Kurtis! I tip my hat to you on this! Can't wait to see some plants in there! 180G FTW!!! :D

247Plants

Plant Obsessed
Mar 23, 2007
eastside LBC
Thanks Digi!

Im still cleaning up the seams I have to re-silicone and am hoping to get it siliconed this evening so I can have water in it by Wednesday or so.

knockout

Registered Member
May 4, 2007
excellent build, I am planning in copying your build stick by stick, any stand updates?
how are you planning to finish it?

247Plants

Plant Obsessed
Mar 23, 2007
eastside LBC
I imagined if I was going to make it look like a stand I would take off the generic plywood and skin it with some nice wood and trim.

It suits its purpose right now. I am in the middle of resealing the tank so it has had a little delay in that respect.

qquake2k

AC Members
May 3, 2006
Northern California
Love this!

I LOVE posts like this! Like everyone else, I can't wait to see it finished! If it were me, and I'm not sure you want my opinions, if I was going to paint it I would have gone with MDF or particle board instead of plywood. I've often thought about building a stand for a large tank. I love working with wood, and love projects like this. What I've always wanted to do was build a stand that was painted, but that was trimmed with solid oak. Oak strips on the corners and edges, and around the outside perimeters of the doors.

I'm curious, did you have any trouble with any of the 2x4's being warped? Dimensional lumber isn't the quality it used to be, and I would worry about finding straight wood. I'm hoping the 2x4 you bought is kiln dried, so that it doesn't warp later. Semi-green wood has a nasty tendency to warp and twist as it dries. Also, I love the metal braces, I'm sure they added an incredible amount of rigidity. Not sure I would have used as many, but better to have too many than not enough. I also like that you mitered the top and bottom frames, and used the construction adhesive. Love your attention to the small details!

No matter how it ends up looking on the outside, it certainly is a very strong and rugged stand. Looks like you did a great job! Kudos!

I hope your house has a slab floor... LOL

247Plants

Plant Obsessed
Mar 23, 2007
eastside LBC
Thanks for the compliments :)

To be honest, I dont mind the raw look of it currently. I didnt really build it to be a fancy stand, more of a function over design kinda deal. In time I may pull all the plywood off and reskin it with some nice oak or birdseye maple and get to staining and trimming.

Yes it is kiln dried, and I spent about an hour going through all the 2x4's to find the straightest and least knotty pieces. I ended up using about 20 all together for the stand. If I were to do it again I would use less braces and a lot less wood.

luckily it is sitting on a concrete slab, so no worries there. :)

247Plants

Plant Obsessed
Mar 23, 2007
eastside LBC
I absolutely promise to have pics up this weekend.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store