2.2 Gallon Shrimp Tank Questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

railer20

AC Members
Oct 15, 2020
Kansas
So my 8 yr old son wanted to spend some of his hard earned chore money on a little shrimp tank. Well he wanted fish but not happening in that small. We ended up with a little 2.2 gallon cylindrical aquarium. I was curious if anyone has a similar setup I could see? I saw something the other day about “unballing” marimo moss balls and using that as a “carpet” and that had me intrigued. Anyone done that? For filtration I will put a nano sponge filter in my tank for a few weeks to seed it.

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
I've got a little 4 gallon for shrimp, mix of mosses in there.
1000123188.jpg

Definitely a great idea to make a carpet out of marimo moss balls. It's just cladophora algae and it is a great dense carpet material. Shrimp also love mosses!

A good food to help with a good biofilm for shrimp is Bacter AE, it helps grow a healthy biofilm supply for shrimp, even tiny shrimplets. I highly recommend it. You don't need a lot at a time, so while it seems a little pricy, a little goes a long way.

Reactions: railer20

railer20

AC Members
Oct 15, 2020
Kansas
I've got a little 4 gallon for shrimp, mix of mosses in there.
View attachment 232708

Definitely a great idea to make a carpet out of marimo moss balls. It's just cladophora algae and it is a great dense carpet material. Shrimp also love mosses!

A good food to help with a good biofilm for shrimp is Bacter AE, it helps grow a healthy biofilm supply for shrimp, even tiny shrimplets. I highly recommend it. You don't need a lot at a time, so while it seems a little pricy, a little goes a long way.
Thanks! How would i weigh the moss down? Could I glue it to an acrylic sheet or something?

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Thanks! How would i weigh the moss down? Could I glue it to an acrylic sheet or something?
You can buy those plastic knitting mesh sheets, use some sewing thread and sew it to the sheet, but you'll have to weigh the sheet down with a couple rocks since the mesh likes to float.

Reactions: railer20
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store