2 T-5's better for planted tank than 2 T-12's?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LiveMermaid07

Bloody Mary. As in, hand me one.
Jul 7, 2009
Lost & Confused
Real Name
Can't Remember...
I'm still trying to understand (and remember, LOL!) all the differences between all the different bulbs, I've only scratched the surface so I'm still learning a lot - I haven't heard of alot of these bulbs yet lol.

(For 29g high, amazon swords, crypts, anubis, lily, vals, sags, micro swords, grass - once all the plants have grown in or finished growing in)

But I'm thinking that it sounds like 2 T5's - colormax - (I have no idea if they have letters after them ) will be better for the plants than the two T12's I've got now?
Yes?

Even though they have a few fewer watts, they work better so their suppose to be better?

And just might be slightly cooler maybe? or at least not hotter?

Also, how often would the T5's need replacing?

I keep reading for plants your suppose to replace bulbs every 6 to 9 months, but if that is not necessary it seems wasteful?

Thanks for all the help y'all. :)

And secondly, I had just spent a lot of ... work ;) and such making the fixture for the 2 T-12's, do you think it would be ok to adjust this for a 10g?

Would that be too much, or, well???

biggdadyapisto

AC Members
Mar 31, 2009
Florida
www.myspace.com
colormax bulbs are really red bulbs u can use them just not all that pretty. going with t5 maybe one that says its color temp is 6000k-10000k aka daylight along with the colormax. any bulb that has a color spectrum higher than 10000k your plants and fish wont need it.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
You can try to think of it as the progression in the technology. Normal output (NO) fluorescents such as T-12s and T-8s came first. T-12s are those fat bulbs that you hardly see anymore, you will be hard pressed to find one for sale at a pet store. T-8s are the next generation of bulb, but provide the same output, light intensity wise, as T-12s.

T-5s are a breakthrough because they are slimmer and more powerful than T-12/8 bulbs. They don't run hotter, but if you are using HO (high output) T-5s then the wattage will be increased. This will make it hotter than two T-12 fixtures.

If you are satisfied with your plant growth, there is no need to change anything. A 29 gallon tank is a tall tank, so less light will hit the bottom. While two T-12 (or T-8) bulbs are not high light by any means, you can grow basic plants in it. They just won't grow very fast.

Colormax bulbs are just a color enhancing bulb, I would not use two of them since it will make your aquarium really red/purple. As was suggested, get another more "daylight" type of full spectrum bulb.

I am really curious - if you put a lot of work into making a normal fluorescent fixture for your 29 gallon tank, how come you want to change it? :)

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
To illustrate, here is the difference between a high output T-5 fixture and a regular T-5 fixture.

30" High output T-5, two 31 watt bulbs:
http://www.amazon.com/Aqualight-Dual-Lamp-Light-Fixture/dp/B002P9R2GO

30" T-5, two 18 watt bulbs:
http://www.amazon.com/Aqualight-Col...2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1300712867&sr=1-2

I would stick with normal T-5s. If you start using more lighting than this, you are going to need to use CO2 and fertilizers and work to keep things balanced.

Think of high light as like a stick shift sports car...more fun to drive, but you need to know what you're doing more :)

Canuck

AC Members
Dec 22, 2002
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
T5s provide more light using less energy. There efficiency is what makes them better. By extension, they produce less heat (per watt).

A lot of people may not agree with me as far as replacement. Fifteen years ago when the best option available was T12, bulbs would be replaced every 6-9 months because of degradation. After this length of time a bulb would only be producing roughly 80% of the amount of light it was supposed to. This was pretty significant because it was so hard with T12 bulbs to get "high" light levels. Three watts of t12 is roughly equivalent to about a watt and a half of T5 with reflectors. All modern bulbs bottom out at about 90% (or more) now and with increased efficiency, for most people, this is more than enough to grow anything they have in their tanks. Some people claim older bulbs' spectrum may shift, potentially hurting plant growth and encouraging algae. I haven't seen where people have shown scientific evidence for this. I use PC lights and have never replaced them before they "blow". IME, whatever the effect spectrum shift has on the ecology of a tank, is more then drowned out by other "noise" in the system such as flow, nutrients, "pollution", bioload etc.

LiveMermaid07

Jul 7, 2009
Lost & Confused
Real Name
Can't Remember...
If you are satisfied with your plant growth, there is no need to change anything. A 29 gallon tank is a tall tank, so less light will hit the bottom. While two T-12 (or T-8) bulbs are not high light by any means, you can grow basic plants in it. They just won't grow very fast.
---- I'm not satisfied with the plant growth, and some areas are kinda dark. (Somewhat to do with the 'time-out box' ;) - so dubbed by my brother.)

I am really curious - if you put a lot of work into making a normal fluorescent fixture for your 29 gallon tank, how come you want to change it? :)
I am trying to get at least 2watts or equivalent per g. I have mostly swords, and even though I did notice a (mostly good) change when I finally made it to 1w/g (lol) I would like to see how they do with something better (and the only fixtures they sell around here are t12's and 8's, don't know why.?) It was the best I could get at the time. At least I learned something about wiring lol.

T5s provide more light using less energy. There efficiency is what makes them better. By extension, they produce less heat (per watt).
I use PC lights and have never replaced them before they "blow". IME, whatever the effect spectrum shift has on the ecology of a tank, is more then drowned out by other "noise" in the system such as flow, nutrients, "pollution", bioload etc.
Thanks.

LiveMermaid07

Jul 7, 2009
Lost & Confused
Real Name
Can't Remember...
I would stick with normal T-5s. If you start using more lighting than this, you are going to need to use CO2 and fertilizers and work to keep things balanced.

Think of high light as like a stick shift sports car...more fun to drive, but you need to know what you're doing more :)
I already use fertilizers and started adding co2. (So hopefully, not a problem. But when does anything go how I plan? lol)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store