20 gallon heavily planted stocking up list

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fish-n-chips

AC Members
Oct 29, 2008
N.E. WI
Real Name
C.J.
With that size tank I would stick with 1 cory species and those would be 1 of the dwarf cories( hastatus, habrosus, pygmaeus)
A decent size school of any larger cory would limit the number of other stock for which you are adamant about keeping.

Just my opinion but if you want to keep more species and more occupants you need to go with a bigger tank.

fish-n-chips

AC Members
Oct 29, 2008
N.E. WI
Real Name
C.J.
With that size tank I would stick with 1 cory species and those would be 1 of the dwarf cories( hastatus, habrosus, pygmaeus)
A decent size school of any larger cory would limit the number of other stock for which you are adamant about keeping.

Just my opinion but if you want to keep more species and more occupants you need to go with a bigger tank.
Sometimes there is just not enough space to get everything you want to into it and do so without creating problems.

whaddisfish

AC Members
Dec 25, 2011
i got no money to buy at bigger tank bro. and ive changed my mind. im jus gnna stick with the 30 cardinals, 2 panda corys, 2 otto, 1 twig catfish (Farlowella vittata- which i think seems to be a very interesting fish). any one had any experiences in keeping them?

constevens

AC Members
Sep 7, 2011
Colorado
Real Name
Conway
Farlowella vittata is a bad choice for that small of a tank. They can get to around 8 to 9 inches long.

Heavily planted or not your stocking load for a 20 gallon is way to high, Personally its way to many fish. While your Cardinals arent that big right now they will get bigger and even if they are the size of neons Ive got lots of both and they are about 1 to 1.5 inches long. While I agree that the inch per gallon rule is garbage, your talking way more fish then even one fish per gallon. Ive got several VERY heavily planted tanks and they are all very over filtered. But Id still keep the stock lower.

One thing to remember. Rummy nose, are a very HEAVY schooling fish. Any less then a good group stresses them and they are sensitive.

dani_starr

AC Members
Aug 6, 2011
California
Real Name
Dani :)
Something else no one seems to mention on heavily (fish-n-chips mentioned it as well, but didn't give specific numbers) is that cories need to be in a school of at at least 5-6 (so you need 5 panda corydoras, BARE MINIMUM, for the dwarf varieties (hastatus, hasbrosus, or pygmaeus- I may have spelled those wrong) then I would do 6-8, at LEAST! :)

Otos also are better in a group of 3+, they are quite social.

For Rummynose, do a group of 6-8+ AT LEAST, the larger the school, the BETTER! :)

I have to agree with a lot of the other posters, the 1" per gallon rule is totally crap, but 30 cardinals, plus other fish, in a 20 gallon, just seems to be far too high.

I would say 20 tetras max for your 20 gallon (such as 10 cardianals, 10 rummy nose), then a school of 8 cory pygmaeus (or one of the other dwarf cories), would be the most that you could do.

whaddisfish

AC Members
Dec 25, 2011
ok im jus gnna ignore the rummynose then. jus gnna hav 20 cardinals, 3 ottos, 5 corydoras and farlowella acus then (its not to small dude ive read through stuff on them and most of them say that the minimum tank for them is 20 gallon)

constevens

AC Members
Sep 7, 2011
Colorado
Real Name
Conway
The farlowella acus saying a minimum tank for them would be a 20 gallon would be if you housed the fish By itself with nothing else. They get Over 6" long. Id say thats a bit to big for 20 gallon tank IMO. I wouldnt put one in less then 40 gallons. And Especially if your going to have it with other fish.

For a 20 gallon tank 20 cardinals, 3 ottos, 5 corydoras is already a heavy load for that size of tank. It would be like making you live in a closet that your a little to tall or wide for but if we cram you in you might fit but im sure you wont be happy nor will your room be very pleasant.

Think of the fishes needs. You can only put so many fish in a 20 gallon.

constevens

AC Members
Sep 7, 2011
Colorado
Real Name
Conway
Something else no one seems to mention on heavily (fish-n-chips mentioned it as well, but didn't give specific numbers) is that cories need to be in a school of at at least 5-6 (so you need 5 panda corydoras, BARE MINIMUM, for the dwarf varieties (hastatus, hasbrosus, or pygmaeus- I may have spelled those wrong) then I would do 6-8, at LEAST! :)

Otos also are better in a group of 3+, they are quite social.

For Rummynose, do a group of 6-8+ AT LEAST, the larger the school, the BETTER! :)

I have to agree with a lot of the other posters, the 1" per gallon rule is totally crap, but 30 cardinals, plus other fish, in a 20 gallon, just seems to be far too high.

I would say 20 tetras max for your 20 gallon (such as 10 cardianals, 10 rummy nose), then a school of 8 cory pygmaeus (or one of the other dwarf cories), would be the most that you could do.

Very correct my fellow Coloradoan!!

kcartwright856

AC Members
Mar 8, 2012
Millersburg, PA
www.facebook.com
Real Name
KC
I would drop to 15 cardinals with the 3 otocinclus and 5 corydoras. Nothing else. Period.

That stocking will really put you at maximum capacity. Your fish will thank you for it and show better coloration and behavior in turn.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store