20 gallon sump design. help!?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

silentskream

AC Members
May 16, 2004
Florida
yes, by all means, put pics up.

here are some pics of the supplies i got yesterday (very dirty, will be cleaned i promise)
oceanic plus series model 6
and eheim pump (1250 i think?) 20L/Min flow rate

the pump came in the same box as the skimmer.. does it pump water to/from the skimmer? or does it pump water back to the tank?

i know a lot of people put their skimmer inside their sump.. do i have to? i dont know if it will fit.

090607 001.JPG 090607 003.JPG

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
The pump will pump the water into the skimmer...regarding the qauestion of can it be fitted outside of the sump, i have no idea...and even a google trawl for you, and come up with nothing on this model..

Hopefully someone here has had experience with these and can help you more...

Niko

silentskream

AC Members
May 16, 2004
Florida
argh.

i found an instruction manual (it says patent pending.. shows you how old this thing is.. it was purchased before the patent and they dont even make them anymore.)

if i need to maybe i can get up with oceanic.

silentskream

AC Members
May 16, 2004
Florida
alright.. the skimmer and pump can both be used outside of the sump, but i've got to get extra hardware.

so let me see if i've got this right..

the U tube sucks the water from the top of the tank and puts it in the sump.. then a pump takes the water out of the sump, through the protein skimmer, and back into the sump (into baffle #2?) and this is apparently where the refugium goes?
then through the baffles to the 3rd section where another pump pumps the water back into the tank.

Reefscape

Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
yes, all the above is correct.. However,on the skimmer location, its personl choice for the most part...i would have the skimmer take and put back in to the inlet section of the sump...

leoslizards

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
.. then a pump takes the water out of the sump, through the protein skimmer, and back into the sump (into baffle #2?)...
yes, all the above is correct.. However,on the skimmer location, its personl choice for the most part...i would have the skimmer take and put back in to the inlet section of the sump...
I've been reading up on sumps a bit because I'm considering making one for my 29g tank but this part still confuses me. Do I put the PS in the inlet section and have it drain back into the same inlet section and then the water goes over the baffle into the refug? So in other words, the PS just recycles the same water until it flows to the next section and there is a chance that some of the water in the inlet section hasn't gone through the PS when it moves on? I know if is kind of hard to understand but does this make sense? :hitting:

Reefscape

Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
What i did with mine was install the skimmer in the inlet section, then have the water returned from the ps to the fuge, dropping on top of the macro algae there, creating a little turbulance..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store