20" lighting question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

OgreMkV

Father of Earth's Next Emperor
Apr 26, 2007
Port Arthur, TX
ogremkv.wordpress.com
OK, so will the corals be happy under a single 150-175 15K bulb?

been reading up on the Iwasaki... very interesting. I finally found a spectrum chart for it and it looks like corals will like it.

Last edited:

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
If it is the Iwasaki, it will provide more than enough intensity for anything you'd want, especially in that tank. Do some searches of that lamp and of tanks using it. It is more of a crisp white color and very, very intense.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Under the bulb Amph stated, yes, it has the same or more PAR as the Radium 20k 250w. There is a big difference between bulbs as far as corals are concerned so pick them wisely. I wouldn't recommend using a XM 10k 250w bulb on your size tank, too white/yellow by itself and probably way too much PAR for your size tank. It is not an easy decision with so many different options that will accomplish the same goal, which is why it really comes down to personal preference on type of light and coloring.

Friggin ninjas on this forum... ;)

OgreMkV

Apr 26, 2007
Port Arthur, TX
ogremkv.wordpress.com
Heh, that ninja has been a great help.

Personally, I prefer a whiter color in the tank for viewing. I also like a bit of UV for the fluorescing of the corals. regardless of all that though, whatever is best for the corals (and any future fish, etc), then that's what I want on the tank. I'll live with the rest.

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
OK, here's my thoughts so far...

Icecap 175 electronic ballast
Icecap mogul base pendant
Iwasaki 175 bulb

am I missing anything... other than a way to hang the pendant...
Yes, a good reflector ;). Look into the Lumenarc and/or Lumenbright minis. If you are going to spend the money and pay for the electricity, maximizing the amount of light that beams into the tank seems like a given. The aforementioned reflectors go a long way in achieving that.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
The Icecap ballast will also fire a 150 HQI. Due to HQI's slightly higher efficiency you'll get about the same PAR as with a comparable 175 mogul base and save a bit of electricity. I know that when I was looking into getting a 20000K Radium for my 175 mogul they didn't exist, but they do make a 150 HQI. I would conclude that another advantage could be a wider selection of available bulbs.

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
I'm not sure of a 150w lamp that will be brighter or even as bright as the 175w Iwasaki 15K. I haven't looked in a while, but it had a lot of lower wattage HQI and higher wattage lamps outclassed. For the small watt difference, you get a lot of PAR by comparison.

OgreMkV

Apr 26, 2007
Port Arthur, TX
ogremkv.wordpress.com
OK, last question... maybe... does anyone know where I can find a pedestal stand that would support the afore mentioned rig (Lumenbright reflector)?

Lowes and Home Depot don't have just the stand and I don't want to spend the money to modify something.

BTW: I'm figuring $350 or so, not including shipping and stand.

Thanks guys, I'll post some more pics when it comes in.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store