20g-Long build thread

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

irishspy

There is a stargate in my aquarium.
Howdy!
I finally got my 20g long tank set up and cycling last night, so I thought I'd share some pics. Right now it's just water, rock, and wood (and one tacky ornament). Plants should be going in next week. The specs are these:

Coralife 65 watts 6700k CFL light
Aquaclear 50 HOB filter, with sponge, biomedia, and carbon
40 lbs of black Eco-complete
100w Visi-therm submersible heater set to 76-77.
Three pieces of Malaysian driftwood

And, with that, here are the photos.

First, the general tank view:

I'm probably going to move the two pieces of wood on the left around. This'll do for now, though.

Close up of those same two pieces. Sorry for the glare:

I plan to fill in that big divot, but the two together make for some nice hiding place for small fish, plus I love the upswept branch. I'd like to hang some moss from it, but it's right in the filter outflow.

Next on the right:

I love this piece of wood for the natural "cave," and the tacky wall ornament just seemed to fit.

Now we turn to the left side, the far end of the two logs:

The glare washes out a bit, but the interaction of the two pieces again creates some interesting spaces. (I really like Malaysian driftwood, but, boy, even after a good long boil, it's still putting out lots of tannin.)

This is a view of the area behind the two pieces of driftwood, and the main reason I'm thinking of rearranging them:

I think too much is hidden toward the rear, so I may angle the lower piece toward the back, creating a roughly triangular open space with the wall.

Finally, just for the heck of it, the Aquaclear 50:

I really like Aquaclears, but I'm not so sure about the enclosed media. I might experiment with different material in a few weeks. Also, I've yet to find one that doesn't make an annoying buzz or rattle with the lid on.

That's it for now. I hope to add some plants next weekend. Fish and shrimp will come in a few weeks, as I'm doing a fishless cycle with ammonia (my first). I'm also thinking of replacing the light: I bought a Coralife 65w several years ago, but I'm not happy with the distribution of light over the tank. You can probably tell in the pics that the left gets rather dark not only from the driftwood's shadow, but also from the shortness of the bulb: only 21" in a 30" fixture. Plus, the fixture and bulb, though new out of the box, were bought several years ago. Not sure if age has taken a toll. Anyway, I've very tempted to replace it with the Finnex Planted+ LED.

That's it for now. I'll update with new developments as warranted. Suggestions for aquascaping and appropriate plants are welcome.

It's nice to have an aquarium underway again. :D

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Can anybody see the pics? I cannot.

irishspy

Last edited:
Reactions: Wild West

irishspy

"JJ&J's Seafood Buffet"** was set up Sunday night and fishless cycling with ammonia began Monday night. Testing started Tuesday night (API Master Kit). Here are the first two sets of results:

Tuesday
Ammonia: .5
Nitrite: .25
Nitrate, GH, and KH not measured.
PH: ~7.4

Wednesday
Ammonia: 1-2. (It's hard for me to be exact, reading those tubes under lamplight)
Nitrite: .5-1
Nitrate: 5
GH: 143 ppm
KH: 3 degrees
PH: ~7.2

I'm using Dr. Tim's Ammonium Chloride and Seachem's Stability, both according to their directions.

Los Angeles water is typically 7.4-7.6, as I recall. I think the declining PH is due to the leaching from the driftwood: the water is a "weak tea" color.

This is the first time I've done a fishless cycle, so advice and comment is quite welcome.

New toy alert: I wasn't happy with the Coralife fixture, like I mentioned above, so I went ahead and replaced with with a Finnex "Planted+." I can really see a difference. On the downside, the legs don't sit well with the glass cover. Pooh.

Also, I've started to distrust the Visi-therm heater: I'd set the tank for 76-77, and two different thermometers read 79-80. I've replaced it with a Fluval E-series 100-watt and will keep the Visi-therm for emergencies.

**(Named for the three cats --Jersey, Jasper, and Juno-- who own my writing partner and his wife. They've already demanded to see a menu and want to know if I deliver. :eek: )

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Did you get the 24/7 model or just the +? I distrust all heaters. Haven't found one that hasn't let me down yet....but I haven't tried them all or most of the HIGH end ones. I think ammonia levels are supposed to be higher for cycling, maintain like 5ppm daily?

irishspy

Did you get the 24/7 model or just the +? I distrust all heaters. Haven't found one that hasn't let me down yet....but I haven't tried them all or most of the HIGH end ones. I think ammonia levels are supposed to be higher for cycling, maintain like 5ppm daily?
I got the Planted+. I considered the 24/7, but decided to pass. Maybe a "Just how much money *am* I spending??" reaction set in. :)

I'm very happy with the light coverage it gets, though I think I'll have to rethink my plant plans: from what I read on PAR at Planted Tank, the Planted + turns a short tank like mine into a medium to medium-high light environment, depending on the distance from the light source. That means I can try higher light plants, but I'll have to learn how to deal with CO2 probably.

Darn. :D

However, I'm not thrilled with the design of the legs. They simply won't fit with the glass lid on, and I'd rather not run the tank "topless."

Heaters... I've been lucky: no disasters or breakdowns. We'll see how this E-series works.

As for the ammonia, the instructions say 2-3 ppm over "X" days (can't recall how many), so I think I'm in the ballpark. I was surprised the nitrites and nitrates showed up as strong as they did so soon, but perhaps that's due to adding Stability.

Test: One last try to directly link pictures from Dropbox. Can you see this?

Or do you see a broken link? o_O

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I can see it!!! :cool:

I guess it depends on the size cause the 36" 24/7 is cheaper than the +. :confused:

I have a love/hate relationship with CO2, I wish you luck!

I know the legs have a removeable inner piece, maybe that would work for you? (Ok, now I'm gonna try embedding a youtube video, don't think I've ever done that! Can you see it? lol)

EDIT: I don't know what you paid or where you got it but I just checked on amazon, the 30" 24/7 is only $5 more at $92. And I found it for $89 on fleabay. Just FYI in case you wanted to swap it.

irishspy

I can see it!!!
Victory! :D

I'll fix the original post tonight.

I wrote Finnex earlier about the feet. Good customer service: they got back to me right away with the suggestion of removing that piece. Thanks for the video -- that helps.

I bought the Planted + on Amazon. I think I'm good with that for now. (He wrote. Then next week he thinks... :confused: )

Belltrain

AC Members
Nov 11, 2010
Loma Linda, CA
Real Name
Austin
I have the finnex planted plus as well on my 36g bowfront. It makes preety good light. Is your glass top blocking the feet with the screws? My glass top barley fits on the top of my tank :(...I had to order a top and it barley fits...but it does leave room for the finnex's "feet" to sit flush. Sofar do you like it? The moonlights are nice it turn them on with the regular lights but I don't leave them on at night, I guess it's just nice to have the option. The blue may make your fish "pop" more in my opinion. When my neon dwarf gourami goes to the top his color is great. Just a good way to accent your fish :).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store