20gal SW

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I've used Marco before been very pleased with the rocks I got from them. BRS sells dry rock only, they have a few different kinds but they'll be a bit more pricey after shipping. If you're in the Boston area I would think must be one or two decent local shops you might be able to get some live rock from if need be.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Im in the boston area and the only store i would buy live rock from is about a 45min to 1 hour drive. The store only sells fish and aquarium products. But they charge like $8/lb i believe. Havent been there for 2 months. Im gonna check craigslist to see if anyone is parting with their SW stuff. Always want to save money :)

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
yeah $8/lbs is a bit pricey for basic live rock, around here the couple good LFS sell it for $5-$9/lbs depending on the rock type, fiji/pukani being $6 usually, $5 if you buy alot.

Besides CL maybe see if you have any local reef forums too.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Actually i think there is a few reefkeepers group in my area maybe i can check one out soon.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
So i think im gonna try to go with a FOWLR tank. At first i was nervous because tge only water i have available is tap :/ and because how difficult others made me believe it was. But i figured it would be a cool learning experience and also if/when i do succeed with this project itll probably be the best looking tank in the house. But i have just a few more questions. Are there any special requirements for seahorses? Any fish that could live along side them in a 20 gal? Oh btw i decided to just start off with dry rock only and let it become live rock with time

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I was just looking into seahorses since my GF wanted to get some, 20g is a bad size for most of the commonly available ones, dwarf's would be appropiate for 10g or smaller, most of the others need 40g+ a couple other smaller types but they would require a chiller.

I suppose a huge dwarf colony might be ok in a 20g but they're a pain in the *** to keep need live baby brine shrimp or pods for them to eat, can't really keep any fish with them cause the fish will outcompete for food.

Eventually I want to do hippocampus erectus, they can be kept with some shyer fish, and be trained to eat frozen foods.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
I would like seahorses. I have to read up more on them and their needs. I was looking at the dwarf ones and thats what got me to consider them. Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys .

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
20 gallon is really too small for any SHs besides dwrafs and they come with strings attached as mentioned. You don't have to run a chiller unless you can't keep your tank temp at 76 or below. There are fish that you can keep with them but a lot of corals are not compaitible because they sting. Gorgorians are perfect for them but I would suggest that you find photosynthetic species.

SH's do not have stomachs so they need to be fed often which only adds to biload, making a sump and a good skimmer almost a necessity.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Hmm, then ill just stick with fish that could live in a 20gal. Thanks for that info. Im still researching more on saltwater tanks, equipments, fish, etc. I decided to go with all dry rock and let it become live over time. Would getting all dry rock be fine or would it be better to get like 5lbs of live rock and the rest dry rock?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store